Vice close to bankruptcy

Originally published at: Vice close to bankruptcy | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This is always a favorite

4 Likes

Maybe Vice is just a bit too specialized for the World at large?

7 Likes

I guess this provides some context for why they shitcanned Waypoint, one of the few thoughtful, leftist video games publications still running, founded by awesome queer Black critic and creator Austin Walker, and which was enjoying great (financial and rhetorical) sustainable community support.

Their (ever more appropriate) podcast sign-off was “Fuck capitalism, go home.”

8 Likes

The fact that Vice is letting them podcast until June 2nd, including an entire episode (just one as of today) about the layoffs and issues at Vice is kind of incredible.

Reposting a link to it, since it is really something

11 Likes

Regardless of the pros/cons of their other work, I’ll always get a chortle out of the fact that VICE went from being co-founded by unrepentant racist POS Gavin McInnes to publishing a multitude of unflattering articles about the OTHER organization founded by McInnes, the Proud Boys.

17 Likes

Perhaps it was revenge, if people who had worked under McInnes were still there.

7 Likes

Ugh. I’m going to have a lot of Vice links to redirect to Wayback if the plug is pulled on their site. (Worse yet, some new domain owner could block Wayback access.)

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Vice%20News

7 Likes

…I’ll be happy when they are gone. I never liked the magazine, even when it was new and considered edgy/progressive/cool. In my opinion, they always were insecure cynicists posing as post-modern nihilistic hipsters. Unsurprising that the founder is a POS.

5 Likes

The only things I’ve ever really liked about Vice were Waypoint, their games division which had a completely different viewpoint and culture from the main site, and Motherboard, which just provided very good technology coverage. The rest of the company…meh

8 Likes

I’ve always found it amusing that the Walt Disney company owns a substantial stake in the company.

9 Likes

WTF is dick amnesia??? I know it’s click bait, but I wanna know!

7 Likes
8 Likes

:rofl: I actually read it the other day when it popped up in some feed or another. TLDR: No one remembers your penis. They remember you and what it was like to be with you. But to pick your dick out of a lineup? Probably not happening.

9 Likes

I guess good to know if my dick is ever in a line up?

8 Likes

I don’t know what the corporate culture has been like in recent years but in the past they definitely weren’t a great place for women to work.

7 Likes

…Motherboard was/is good, I agree.

6 Likes

Never much of a fan of their website or news magazine. Their TV content has some enjoyable stuff

I like their wrestling documentary series.

They are great little “oral history” programs, focusing on anecdotes which are amusing but likely questionable in veracity. Any show that gives Jim Cornette a microphone is guaranteed to be fun to watch.

Also they have been doing mini docuseries on the making of Star Wars, The Simpsons, Fast & Furious and Marvel. (Icons Unearthed).

2 Likes

With the possible exception of Donald Trump.

3 Likes

You know, Dick Amnesia; the forgetful detective. He used to share a pulp with Dick Toe Phone; the detective with a voicemail phone in his foot.

7 Likes