The episode that elevated the Simpsons

Was anyone else unsure about when this video started because all the other video excerpts at the beginning sounded narrated by the same self-serious, film studies dropout doing a Michael Barbaro impression?

4 Likes

I’ve watched The Simpsons since the shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show. Since I never saw it as a kid, my pick is a bit different. There’s No Disgrace Like Home is the episode that convinced me to keep watching. It gave me hope that the characters would change in some way (long before the ages of the kids became a running gag).

My runner-up episodes are as follows:
The Springfield Files - I prefer The X-Files to Cheers (sorry, Moe)
Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in “The Curse of the Flying Hellfish”
Lady Bouvier’s Lover

8 Likes

For pure memeworthiness: Simpson Tide.

ETA:

2 Likes

I’m in camp Hank Scorpio as well.

5 Likes

the characters are flatter than Nebraska

You’re thinking of Kansas. Those are fighting word to Nebraskans. :grinning:

Oh man, hard to say which was my favorite golden age Simpsons episode, they were almost all brilliant. I´ll agree with some of the choices here, “Marge vs. the Monorail”, “You Only Move Twice” and “Simpson Tine” are absolute highlights.
I have to ad that I haven´t seen the Simpsons in years. The last 15 years of the show I´ve seen were just getting more and more depressing. The characters we´ve grown to love turned more and more into caricartures of themselves, in the worst possible way (I feel it is unforgivable how the turned Homer into an off-brand Peter Griffin like stupid asshole). The jokes became dumber and soon everything relied on memes and guest stars. “Zombie Simpsons” is true in every sense, the show is as it is now a shambling husk of its former self, that should have died a long time ago, but refuses to do so.

3 Likes

This says it all.

7 Likes

I’m rubbing it on my flippers right now!

3 Likes

That one is near the top, but to me You Only Move Twice is the best ever.

2 Likes

5 Likes

side note: how hasn’t

“Hail Hail Moon God
Watch Watch
Yes Yes
Watch Y
Yes”

not become a meme of its own??

1 Like

Whacking Day.

Excellent guest star, plenty of innuendo, political humor, the whole sub plot with Bart being home schooled. Creative use of color in fantasy sequences.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.