The ethical ad blocker

Can there be such a thing as ethical advertising? If one finds themselves needing a product, all that is required is to visit their preferred vendor, whether online or in meatspace. If I need information about products, I know where to go. Never once have I been directly influenced by advertising to buy a product. If I have been indirectly influenced by advertising (as surely we all have) then, in my opinion, that is a violation of my consciousness. Marketing is predatory by its nature, and I find this to be a very silly debate. Why are we beating around the bush here?

2 Likes

Sure there is.

I see youā€™ve been a member here for a while. If you like the geeky posts here, you might like [ArsTechnica][1] as well.

Admittedly, money will not foul this advertisement because I just read there sometimes. I have no other connection to Ars.

But I donā€™t think even paid ads are necessarily evil.

ETA - And you can say, ā€œThatā€™s not advertising, itā€™s a recommendation!ā€ Sure, thatā€™s fine, but isnā€™t offering a service worth referring people to a kind of advertising? An especially ethical kind?
[1]: http://arstechnica.com/

If the advertising ACTUALLY only suggested things Iā€™d want or be interested in, it would be useful and not a burden. Iā€™d actually like to be told about products, sites, books, etc. that are of interest to me. The problem is all the dross.

Hell, Amazon has something like 18 years of purchase history for books from me and still canā€™t recommend decent books most of the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.