The fantastic facial expressions of the Georgia grand jury forewoman are analyzed by a body language expert

Originally published at: The fantastic facial expressions of the Georgia grand jury forewoman are analyzed by a body language expert | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I don’t know much about this particular trial but I do know that there’s an awful lot of pseudoscience surrounding the study of body language and facial expressions, particularly “microexpressions,” so grain of salt and all that.

49 Likes

And here I was thinking I knew what a “forward lip purse” actually meant. Huh.

1 Like

Yep, some people think Dr Jack Brown is full of shit…

13 Likes

really not inclined to go to twitter to find out more about this. anyone know if there is a breakdown somewhere else that doesn’t give Musk the benefit of my eyeball traffic?

6 Likes

What next, “facial expressions of man mouthing ‘I will kill you’ while drawing his finger across his throat is analyzed by body language expert”?

“You can see the slightly closed left eye here, indicating hostility… the raised finger suggests he’s thinking about having a ham sandwich for lunch.”

11 Likes

… so is that why grand juries keep indicting ham sandwiches :confused:

5 Likes

GIF by Saturday Night Live

Kristen Wiig Reaction GIF

Kristen Wiig Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

A cursory investigation turned up no Body Language Expert certification programs at any well-known educational institution.

Wonder why that is?

13 Likes

“Well, judging by your raised eyebrow and general skeptical demeanour…”

12 Likes

Yeah, it’s just more woo. Sadly people go to jail for huge sentences off of testimony by these peddlers.

1 Like

Right?

Sheesh, that place stinks so bad now. Funny in a bad way how strong habits are (like staying on Twitter, posting links to it, la di fucking da). How easy it is to go along with helping powerful shitheads get all the more powerful. All the more shitty.

5 Likes

None of her expressions were “micro”. She was preening for the camera in the most obvious ways imaginable, in the form of an extremely amateur mime.

2 Likes

My understanding is that being an expert in ‘body language’ is one of those things that should have stayed in the 20th century.

4 Likes

No “resting b/tch face,” or “smile!” face anaylsis?

Lemme help:

The fantastic facial expressions of the Georgia grand jury forewoman are analyzed by a body language expert Wherein A Woman Is Again Overanalyzed Using Her Facial Expressions To Decide If She Conforms

:person_facepalming:

7 Likes

Either she is a fabulous poker player or she isn’t.

1 Like

Just for clarity, forepersons in GA juries can either be assigned by the judge or elected by the jury. Think how that goes:
Judge: Hmmm…I think she’ll be able to least influence the other jurors.
Jury: Hmmm…this seems like a lot of work. I don’t want to do it. Oh, this useful idiot raised her hand…

Are you responding in the correct topic?

5 Likes

“Our phrenology expert has examined the witness and found them to be incapable of telling the truth. Luckily our expert’s special practice is in the field of corrective phrenology. Just look at the way she wields that hammer!”

3 Likes

Talk Show Reaction GIF by iOne Digital

1 Like