The fantastic fantasy miniatures game, Frostgrave, is currently free!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/28/the-fantastic-fantasy-miniatur.html

2 Likes

Bravo, Osprey and Joseph McCullough. It is a great game with a really low-fantasy feel to it. Even though the game involves super powerful wizards hurling spells left, right and centre; the roll 1D20 + Attribute vs 1D20 + Attribute makes combat very swingy. Everyone is vulnerable and even a random Zombie can take down your Wizard due to some unfortunate die rolls. It gives the whole thing a grim-dark feel.

2 Likes

This sounds wonderful, however I have one question: if it’s a miniature-based game, how am I to play the game without the miniatures? (I’ve never played, nor even seen, the game before so please forgive me if I don’t know the game comes with markers etc you can use in lieu of minis)

1 Like

The great thing about mini-based games is you can use just about anything you want in place of ‘official’ minis so long as everyone playing agrees on it. Use chess pieces, use coins, use the tokens from Cluedo, play online in something like Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator. The options are endless.

2 Likes

Yes, you do need miniatures of some sort, but Frostgrave is "miniatures agnostic, so you can use any minis. You could also use cardboard “standies” and I bet you can find free fantasy standies that you can download and print. There are also character/warband sheets on the Osprey website that you can download and print. And you need dice. d20s. And a ruler/tape measure.

2 Likes

Ah, thank you! Lego minis and bricks for terrain it is!!!

6 Likes

“Miss Scarlet casts “Plague of Insects” on the Monopoly Boot!”

4 Likes

Yes, FGV is a game that is far more exciting with terrain density and height. But you can use anything.

2 Likes

LOL. That sounds like fun to me.

2 Likes

“Miss Scarlet casts “Push” on the Monopoly Boot; who is stood on the edge of the Tower of P’ringle Tube!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.