The filthiest camp at Burning Man

I recall the Moop Map being a big deal clear back in 2006. Oh,here it is!
http://www.burningman.com/environment/playa_restoration/2006_moop_map.html

1 Like

bitcoin

If they had 1/10th of the security for entry that SDCC has this would only be an issue once.

Yeah, this year is far from the ā€œfirst time everā€ that Burning man has published the moop map. The Boing Boing post should be corrected.

Update: I see now that this map is a first: it is the first time BM has published a map of ā€œabandoned moopā€ http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Moop-Map_Abandoned-Items_2400w.gif

On a more careful reading, I finally figured why this moop map is a ā€œfirstā€- previous moop maps havenā€™t pinpointed the location of abandonded items, theyā€™ve just given a statistical shade to each area of reserved space.

This is a long overdue change: people were leaving bags of garbage on the playa back in '94 when I first attended. Itā€™s high time the community started talking about it out in the open.

Uh, they did have a contingency plan in the form of the restoration crew. They obviously realize that, norms nothwithstanding, not everyone is going to do a perfect job of packing out their trash, and that a backstop is needed. And if youā€™re sick of hearing about Burning Man why drop in to comment?

7 Likes

David: Not only are people informed in detail ā€“ in booklets sent with every ticket ā€“ about the conditions, they are also informed that they are expected to shift for themselves.

One reason that it is not called garbage is that we are used to having ā€œgarbageā€ picked up by other people. MOOP is a specific term designed to remind people of the expectations of which they have already been informed.

There is, obviously, a contingency plan, which is to say that any MOOP or if you prefer garbage is picked up by the organizers of the event. This is why Burning Man continues, year after year, to be allowed back onto federal land.

9 Likes

WTF are you talking about? I literally canā€™t think of anything they could have possibly done. You canā€™t touch anything burning man related without people screaming to you about MOOP. The site is littered with survival guides that all emphasise the harshness of the environment and how you need to clean up your shit. Even if you manage to ignore everything and everyone, you STILL get told when you come in and a survival guide. On top of that, people freak out over MOOP constantly just while you are there. Short of sending a person to individually have a conference with each and every person, there is nothing more that can be done to inform.

Again, WTF are you talking about? There is a contingency plan. Volunteers spend a few weeks picking the place up after the fact. They donā€™t have a detailed MOOP map because someone got bored. They have that because a small army cleaned up everything that was missed.

Honestly, the outrage is kind of hilarious. The entire massive area of Burning Man that houses 65K people has vastly less garbage left behind than a typical football tailgating party, and shit-tons less than any other festival that is even a fraction of its size. Hell, just look at those pictures. You are looking at the worst offenders of all times for a massive week long festival, and it is small change compared to even the most boring of mid sized festival.

ā€¦then stop readingā€¦ Iā€™m sorry the greatest display of outdoor public art offends yourā€¦ whatever it is that is being offended.

15 Likes

I kind of felt the same way, until I saw that photo set a few days ago. ā€˜Embraceā€™ is just ā€¦ wow. Astonishingly beautiful. I really wanna go now!

4 Likes

Wait, why not the browwwwn aciiiiiiiddddd whyyyyyyyyyy nooooooooooooooooooot

why waaah waaah.

I canā€™t feel my eperdermis mis mis mis

2 Likes

Jeez, I havenā€™t ā€œfirstedā€ in ages. Thanks for the reminder. Iā€™ll have to look out for an opportunity to reconnect with the monad.

4 Likes

+1.

4 Likes

I was wondering what the site looks like after everything is gone. I imagine something like the Nazca Lines. Maybe the Nazca Lines are the remains of pre-Columbian burning man festivals. :smiley:

@David_Abernathy, I really donā€™t think people leaving a few tons of garbage counts as ā€œassholes fucking up natureā€; particularly not when the garbage is then collected up and shipped out. Iā€™m pretty sure that ā€œassholes fucking up natureā€ is reserved for things like oil spills, clear cut logging and the entirety of our civilization.

13 Likes

That sounds like the requirements for a 100 or 50 mile high adventure outing in the Boy Scouts (Iā€™m an Eagle.)

I canā€™t exactly remember all the things you have to do on 50 milers, but I know for a fact that all outings are ā€œLeave no traceā€, and if you want to get a 50 or 100 miler patch like a badass, you have to put in something like 10 or 15 hours of work maintaining trails, building something new, and policing trash in places that arenā€™t where you also camp. The whole point is to offer service in order to make sure the parks are as good or better for future visitors. And I agree with the philosophy, even if it does mean dinner comes an hour later a few days on the trip.

7 Likes

Do you not see the parallell between your complaining about what ONLY you can fix, and someone else not packing their shit out?

3 Likes

^^^THIS

5 Likes

Some clarifications here: MOOP maps have been published for years, but they referred to the weeks-long, fine-toothed combing effort of the cleanup team to check every square foot of the former city and remove every speck of foreign matter that they can find.

THIS map refer to the preliminary step: removing the TRASH, the big stuff that you can see from yards away during a casual stroll: piles of bags, abandoned furniture, etc. It is the first time that this kind of map was released.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s been impressive improvement since 2006.

1 Like

And hereā€™s a typical photo of Glastonbury this year:

People actually leave their TENTS behindā€¦they basically walk out with as little as possible, leaving everything for the clean-up crew they assume will do their dirty work for them.

You are probably not as fastidious as the vast majority of Burning Man attendees.

13 Likes

This /\

2 Likes