The Final Version of the EU's Copyright Directive Is the Worst One Yet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/the-final-version-of-the-eus.html

1 Like

If an EU site links to a US site that links to an an EU site, is that a violation?

4 Likes

Am I misunderstanding this or does this:

under the final text, every online community, service or platform is required to make “best efforts” to license anything their users might conceivably upload, meaning that they have to buy virtually anything any copyright holder offers to sell them

mean that I could, for example, churn out a bunch of awfully written short stories and compel Facebook to pay me for a license to host them? 'Cause if so that sounds like a moneyspinner for users and certain death for every hosting platform.

2 Likes

I think it was lobbied for by the copyright fee collection societies, that (at least in EU) only pretend to represent artist interests and hold a lot of power because of the other laws that they lobbied for. For example in Poland they can collect copyright fees in name of the artists that never agreed to it. Of course they don’t share anything with the artist afterwards.
Having said that, if it will be possible then go for it, especially if you’ll target Facebook :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have to turn your off all your common sense and erase your brain completely from anything that has to do with logical thinking.

Then you can read and discuss the current copyright and internet laws and proposals from the EU.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m quite confused, and I just can’t grasp why the following paragraph in article 11 would be so bad:
“These rights shall not apply to private or non-commercial uses of press publications carried out by
individual users. The protection granted under the first subparagraph shall not apply to acts of hyperlinking. The rights referred to in the first subparagraph shall not apply in respect of uses of individual words or very short extracts of a press publication.”
It still offers options to sites who quote or points to articles, but by preserving the rights of the original publishers.
Of course if short quotes or hyperlinks had also been protected, then it would have been baaaaad. But with this now?
Thanks

Can like minded people create their own country? I’m getting sick of this crap. There has to be an island for sale somewhere.

2 Likes

This thing seems to have more evolutions than a Pokemon. Are we sure this most horrible version is really the final one? Or will it mutate again if it doesn’t pass?

1 Like

Well, that the vote on this is pretty much right before the EP-elections might be the chance to stop it. I don´t know if and how many MEP read this (probably zero), but we, the people of Europe, must inform them that if they vote for it, we shall not vote for them.
Plain and simple.
If you vote for it, we shall not vote for you!
Contact your MEP, and politely tell them this.
If you vote for it, I shall not vote for you.

1 Like

Look, I love the Internet as much as anybody (from USA) but this might just justify cutting the entirety of the EU off of the Internet.

Well this is…odd. Typically when something so idiotic is actually approved by a body of approvers it can only mean there is vast corruption taking place behind the scenes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.