The first issue of The Maxx came out 30 years this month

Originally published at: The first issue of The Maxx came out 30 years this month | Boing Boing

4 Likes

:confused:

the author was making up the “story” as he went

it was all about the art

5 Likes

I, too, was smitten by the Liquid Television presentation of the Maxx, and years later got a chance to scoop up the reinked trade reissue and most of the original comic books. What truly blew me away was the letters section of the original comics - so many readers and fans, living in a pre-WWW Factsheet Five world, connecting via their letters to a strange, dark and bold series, often finding it the only place their history as sexual crime victims could be reflected and discussed. Representation matters.

4 Likes
2 Likes

In some way, The Maxx is responsible for the direction my life has taken since I saw the tv show in the mid 90s as a young teen. It blew my mind.

1 Like

I never really saw (or read) any of it, but the art’s definitely impactful enough that it managed to be a memorable silhouette from childhood. Just seeing it on a hobby shop wall kept in the back of my head for decades.

1 Like

The first issue of The Maxx came out 30 years this month

Second issue coming out any day now.

Kind of like how Moebius did all of his work. The Hermetic Garage and the tale of Major Gruber basically was like that, Moebius just riffing with whatever he wanted to write.

Douglas Adams also just riffed when he wrote the original radio play version of The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, often finishing an episode just in time for recording, and then fretting about how ti get out of the corner he just wrote himself into.

Me, I would love to get this omnibus edition, but it seems to be unavailable in my neck of the woods. Bummer, especially as seeing this on paper is imperative.

1 Like

I was intrigued when I found out the hero of The Maxx was a homeless person—but it became clear the author didn’t know anything about the homeless community and it was basically a metaphor for crashing on his girlfriend’s couch :thinking:

1 Like

I think it started off as an attempt to be edgy, the question is how empathetic the writers became with their creations, and with the topic of mental health.

I think the draw was not just Sam Keith’s artwork, but when reading I felt for Maxx, for Julie, and later even Mr. Gone became a damaged, hurt soul I felt for.

I feel it’s aged okay, better than a lot of nineties comics. And it stands out also because of the experimental artwork in it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.