The Flying of the Freak Flags


#199

We get no respect…


#200

There’s a likely physiological explanation for that.

Most humans cannot taste ethanol; it’s pretty much flavourless to them. However, a minority of the population have a few extra types of tastebuds, some of which are sensitive to ethanol.

Most of these folks describe the taste of ethanol as “like licking an ashtray” or something similar.

There’s another subgroup who, for similar reasons, experience coriander/cilantro as tasting like soap.

Personally, I can’t stand celery; it’s horrendously bitter. The tiniest hint of it in a vegetable juice drink is enough to make it unpalatable to me.


#201

[quote=“Donald_Petersen, post:64, topic:92330”]When it comes to animals, no matter how cute & furry, I like 'em and I’m good to 'em, but I’m not very sentimental about their mortality.
[/quote]

I love animals; I enjoy interacting with them, and a fair part of my current profession is centred around preserving and protecting them. I get very, very angry when I hear about or witness the wilful mistreatment of animals.

I also used to kill and dissect animals on a regular, professional basis.

Although his extremist acolytes are scum, I have great respect for the ethical work of Peter Singer. Singer’s key point regarding animal welfare is that the lives and suffering of animals matters; it is not a thing that can be casually disregarded.

But that does not mean that all animal lives are always of equal value; if I’m faced with the choice between one human and a hundred rats, then a hundred rats will die and I make no apology for that.

I respect animals for what they are. I do not respect people who anthropomorphise them [1]. It’s disrespectful to the animals, and causes great harm when taken to extremes. That possum or whatever is not a little furry human, and if you act like it is, the possum (or whatever) is going to suffer and die. Life is not a cartoon.

[1] Within reason. I did use to refer to my rats as “little dudes”…


#202

I think the community just got older, and more staid. Experimenting with weird designer drugs just doesn’t have the appeal it used to. By west coast standards, I don’t think I’m all that weird, though that still makes me fairly eccentric by the reckoning of most people out east where I live now.

Me too. There was something about the pre-internet counterculture that we’ve lost now. Uncle fester was like a real-life Walter White before it was cool.


#203

To be truthful, I don’t even know what weird means anymore. The world has gotten much weirder than it was when I knew I was weird. (How weird was I and how long ago? I used to buy BB when it was printed on paper, and I was involved with actual social BBSes where we would meet up IRL.)

If you really think you’re weird, 45% chance that you just need to broaden your horizons, 45% chance you’re trying to hard, and 10% that you are truly weird.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” A jelly donut for the first person to attribute that quote.


#204
  • I really love the look of old software rendered 3D, or 3D from that era in general; to me Thief: The Dark Project is an incredibly pretty game.
  • As it came up a couple threads over, I armchair lawyer for fun.
  • (subweird) My parents tried to get me to enter law school, something I’m not interested in, but apparently degrees for the field I am pursuing are enough to qualify for certain bars in my state. Who would’ve figured.
  • Bisexual; technically pansexual, but I’ve always thought the latter sounds kind of dumb.
  • I’m pretty jealous of Electrical Engineers; that’s another hobby of mine (and another I’ve brought up on here, went and calculated how much power you’d be getting out of some solar panels.)
  • I tend to think of dumb stuff, then try and think through the implications of it as deeply as possible. It’s fun as an exercise for building worlds.
  • I’ve never been religious, much to some of my family’s chagrin, but I’ve always really liked religion. I often mentally lament the fact that people still believe in all this religion stuff because it gets in the way of appreciating all these awesome stories and the lore built around them.
  • I sometimes worry that I’m a sociopath who managed to trick myself into thinking I’m normal; I have a natural wariness of power because of it.
  • I’m ambidextrish: in some things I’m right-handed, in others I’m left-handed, some things I’m ambidextrous. Sometimes which hand I use for what is entirely random at that moment.
  • Socially awkward like everyone else here, apparently.
  • I have long hair! Longest was down to the small of my back. I’ve been told by a friend that I’d look really intimidating if my hair wasn’t the way it is, so I guess that’s a reason to keep it. It’s also apparently just really nice hair, every female friend I’ve had has asked to brush it at least once.
  • Having read way too many of those sherlock holmes style puzzle books as a kid, I sort of just automatically try to make inductions from scattered information. It really helps with point 5, it means I can flesh out some pretty detailed ideas and worlds from only a small set of anchor points.

…Pretty sure that’s at least most of my weirdness.

EDIT:
A big one I forgot: Velveeta and american cheese are abominations which should be struck from the Earth. Cheez Wiz is required for certain foods.


#205

Raoul Duke


#206


#207

Damn, @ChuckV beat me to it. Although I was going to say Eleanor Roosevelt, because you didn’t say it had to be a correct attribution. I’ll settle for an old fashioned plain donut.


#208

My left hand is a clumsy dope 99% of the time, but for some reason, I can use it for chopsticks really well. No idea why I’m chopstick-ambidextrous, but it helps when I eat ramen.


#209

I was notorious for not staying put. I’d be found reading in the library, hanging out with the janitors, and generally not making a bother of myself somewhere other than where I was supposed to be. By the time I was in 12th grade I had a litany of teachers whose opinion was ‘get this guy to college already’, and despite far FAR FAR too many absences I graduated on time because none of the teachers wrote it down.

My pretty successful career involves returning to a desk about 2 days a week. I can manage that. Otherwise I am out looking at the world, and documenting it.

in this zero tolerance world I’d have been screwed down and broken, or labeled a failure.


#210

I’m semi-ambidextrous. If I need to do something that involves wrist motion, I’m better with my right hand. If it’s something that uses the fingers more, I use my left.

There’s a joke in that somewhere…


#211

Still happening, so you know.


#212

I’m not ambidextrous whatsoever. I’m a full-blown rightie for all things.
Except high jumping (via the Fosbury Flop), where I jump lefty.


#213

I apparently give really bad hugs. My friend’s kid, whose going through a huggy phase, gives me a "what’s the matter with you? " look after hugging me. The Free Hug people shy away from me when I pass them after I hugged one of them on a dare. My friends don’t hug me, ever. They say they get terrible vibes after hugging me.


#214

While I appreciate @chgoliz’s point that these are still happening I don’t know of any near me, not anymore. The BBSes I started out on were strictly local–unless someone wanted to pay long distance fees. This made getting together in person something we did regularly–either just a couple of us or large groups.

The internet has been a mixed blessing. On the plus side it’s brought greater diversity–and that’s a huge plus. The local BBS users I used to hang out with were 99% white guys and roughly 65% seriously into technology which sometimes left out those of us with more artistic leanings. (Early on there was a split among local BBS users when those who wanted to talk exclusively about computers told the rest of us to get out.)

I appreciate the way my horizons have been expanded but also miss the personal interaction and the little things, like being thrown out of Fuddrucker’s for dancing on the tables.


#215

We have a much, much cooler bouncer.


#216

I’m completely ambidextrous, even though I’ve been told this is either impossible or a learned behavior. I probably learned it somewhere, but I have no idea where.


#217

There’s a handedness in high jumping? Now that’s really weird.


#218

If people have a dominant hand, they have a dominant foot as well. It might not be on the same side as their dominant hand though.