The fool in Steely Dan's "Only a Fool Would Say That" is John Lennon

Originally published at: The fool in Steely Dan's "Only a Fool Would Say That" is John Lennon | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Yeah well, they may say he was a dreamer, but he wasn’t the only one.

27 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. I listen to that album a lot and that song always felt like it was calling out pie in the sky idealism

8 Likes

I imagine, as it were, that Lennon would reply that it is the fool’s job to speak the truth that others don’t dare to the king.

18 Likes

They’re both right.

14 Likes

On the other way, if your idealist fantasy is about some kind of god …

but did Lennon do their dirty work?

10 Likes

Funny, that’s precisely how I’d describe Steely Dan.

“He that has and a little tiny wit,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
Must make content with his fortunes fit,
Though the rain it raineth every day.”

– William Shakespeare
The Fool to King Lear
Act 3, Scene 2

9 Likes

Fools have the finest fits!

2 Likes

But they are on the hill trying to recreate what has yet to be created, so it’s a wash.

3 Likes

Hmm, I was going to ask Rikki, but I lost her number.

9 Likes

Yet another reason not to like Steely Dan. :upside_down_face:

I get it, it’s hard to be idealistic when you’re struggling, but if talking about peace and love is pie-in-the-sky idealism, then what of Jesus?

2 Likes

I like Steely Dan’s music, but I don’t understand why their lyrics are admired. Maybe ‘sarcastic killjoy asshole’ was a a novel pose in 1980 but I lived through the 90’s and no longer think ‘detached irony’ is an adequate substitute for a personality.

5 Likes

Well then maybe you should just drink your big Black Cow and get outta here. :wink:

7 Likes

Walter Becker was a right-wing nutjob DOD consultant for years. Not surprising he thought war was the answer to everything.

1 Like

yeah but just as one cohort ages out the next crew of assholes shows up to practice this one cool trick to seem sophisticated.

I guess it’s a genre.

3 Likes

They wouldn’t even know a diamond if they held it in their hands.

5 Likes

I had to look that up and I think you are mixing him up with Jeff Baxter:

6 Likes

Well, I guess that explains the “Skunk” thing.

6 Likes