The future is here today: you can't play Bach on Facebook because Sony says they own his compositions

Sony, unbelievably, have rejected my dispute. I cannot understand it.

3 Likes

This would not be the first time that Cory oversimplified to exaggerate an issue. It is frustrating that he continues this in the fake news era where he is likely aware that he will end up on some algorithmic list of untrustworthy sources. He is very aware and has posted extensively about how the root cause of copyright abuse is laws enacted by captured regulators that basically require bad solutions like content id. Most regulars here are used to taking his posts with a big grain of salt because he can be so hyperbolic. It is good to have fresh eyes to remind us of Cory’s tendencies to attribute to malice that which can be explained by late stage capitalism.

He has important messages for us to hear so I persist despite the distaste it sometimes leaves in my mouth.

AFAIK that rejection is also automated. You still aren’t communicating with any real live people yet.

2 Likes

i can’t believe that the rejection is automatic as well. Surely they have a duty to individual check open disputes? Otherwise it’s just a blanket refusal to everything!
Finally they have found in my favour but only because I have a bunch of followers on social and had access to the head of Sony Classical and head of their PR who did it personally themselves. The whole situation is dire and must seem impossible for the vast majority of musicians in similar positions.
www.jamesrhodes.tv

http://twitter.com/JRhodesPianist

2 Likes

When dealing with these automated copyright disputes the default assumption is that everybody involved is operating in bad faith. It is the honest people who get chewed up and spit out by the system.

Nobody at Google or Sony/BMI/etc… wants to actually look at the work and try to figure out if they own the copyright. That’s expensive and legally fraught, so they just assume their system is flawless and dare you to sue. We are living in one of those dystopian futures where emotionless robots mete out justice with no recourse and a limited understanding of the world. ContentID is basically ED-209.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.