The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Technically complying with the law has to be one of my least favorite things corporations do.

17 Likes

“special coding” makes entering one line into their robots.txt sound like l33t haxx0r sk1llz.

Then again a consulting company probably did charge a lot of money for that.

11 Likes

This guy. The bang of entitlement off him. Would be happy to keep his company working together only for them up in Dublin (AKA de Gubmint) stopping him. Smart man, he sees right through all the misinformation and knows that the only purpose a mask serves is to keep the law from hassling you.

5 Likes

This is the kind of guy our right wingers hold up as the reason for requiring means testing for any benefits.
Rare, but harmful.

5 Likes

I’m sure that the makers will get right on that.

8 Likes

Well, Utah is such a huge market, I am sure they can set the standard for manufacturers and marketers in the USA, nay, even The World!! (/s)

8 Likes

YouTube just did a massive dump of far-right channels into my suggested videos. It’s not just a tipping algorithm, but a dramatic shift and some stuff that I’d previously blocked, like Charlie fucking Kirk.

9 Likes

Tech bros love concern-driving trollies and tone-policing politicians, especially female politicans. Silicon Valley Kool-Aid drinker Mike Masnick is no different.

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1375455892020195329?s=21

Edit To Add: Mike has pulled this bullshit before with targeting Elizabeth Warren. I just remembered that, two years ago, he wrote this article that took one part of her “Here’s how we can break up Big Tech” article out of context to make the argument that she wants to bring the copyright directive stateside. He takes one sentence:

We must help America’s content creators — from local newspapers and national magazines to comedians and musicians — keep more of the value their content generates, rather than seeing it scooped up by companies like Google and Facebook.

Out of what was supposed to be read as a multi-paragraph point that Warren was making:

Of course, my proposals today won’t solve every problem we have with our big tech companies.

We must give people more control over how their personal information is collected, shared, and sold — and do it in a way that doesn’t lock in massive competitive advantages for the companies that already have a ton of our data.

We must help America’s content creators — from local newspapers and national magazines to comedians and musicians — keep more of the value their content generates, rather than seeing it scooped up by companies like Google and Facebook.

And we must ensure that Russia — or any other foreign power — can’t use Facebook or any other form of social media to influence our elections.

Those are each tough problems, but the benefit of taking these steps to promote competition is that it allows us to make some progress on each of these important issues too. More competition means more options for consumers and content creators, and more pressure on companies like Facebook to address the glaring problems with their businesses.

Healthy competition can solve a lot of problems. The steps I’m proposing today will allow existing big tech companies to keep offering customer-friendly services, while promoting competition, stimulating innovation in the tech sector, and ensuring that America continues to lead the world in producing cutting-edge tech companies. It’s how we protect the future of the Internet.

Mike is a well-read individual, so the idea that he didn’t understand the way this point was being made falls short, in my opinion. Mike was being just as disingenuous back then as he was yesterday by claiming that Elizabeth Warren’s tweet is “authoritarian, censorious nonsense.”

5 Likes

This is the second time I’ve seen this angle. Where is this coming from?
Warren has valid policy reasons for breaking them up.
Is it the classic, she introduces policy to break them up, they heckle her, they claim she is introducing the policies because of their heckling?

10 Likes

Pretty much seems like that trick from the old playbook, yeah. The old “Help, help, I’m being repressed!” technique. The last part of the video where he points back at Arthur and gloats to his pals about how his being an ass got a rise out of him feels like what Amazon and Masnick are doing. But imagine a ludicrously wealthy corporation and a privileged tech bro doing it instead of a couple of peasants.

2 Likes

“Why would I stay at home and listen to the Government constantly instilling fear into people’s lives through lies and manipulation when I can be over here living off my well-earned Covid money?”

While many may take issue with Dean’s decision to go on his extended holiday, he firmly believes that most people would do the same thing if they could.

This is a tough one to decipher, as many people are doing the same thing, and many people are in a better situation than they were before the pandemic thanks to extra consideration like the Federal bonus tacked onto unemployment payments in the USA.

I’m in Tijuana, but many people see that as a step down, and I’ve been here for years before the pandemic. Also, since I operate my “business” out of San Diego, I pay taxes and am qualified for that sweet COVID money.
This week I took my first “vacation”-style trip down to La Paz while helping a new friend transport his truck after his license was stolen a short time ago. From an infection standpoint, it was kind of unnerving to see how casual so many people are about the pandemic, vacationing like it was not much worse than the flu. But it was interesting to see so many being responsible within their own arms’ length, social distancing and wearing masks properly while inhabiting the space of another people (aka “vacationing”) without regard to their safety.

6 Likes

The big difference is that Dennis and the anarcho-syndicalist commune he was in was the exact opposite of Amazon (at least it was in the original script, where they had a real farm), then Arthur comes along declaring he was their king. They were being repressed.

Amazon are more like Arthur, in that they believe that they can take away the workers rights, and that any attempt to stop them is wrong.

I wouldn’t expect the right wingers to understand this though

12 Likes

A shadow minister said: “The problem is that Keir’s team is very inexperienced. We are in a bit of a state. They have spent too much time over the last year trying to appease the hard left on one hand and being too cautious trying to look like a government in waiting. There is lots of concern in the PLP about Keir’s office in general.”

Appeasing the far left? Labour are about to lose in the local elections because they are too detached from reality to realise that Tory voters are going to vote Tory, not a second rate facsimile. No new name will save them from that at this point, Labour need solid evidence of a goat fucking cult within the Conservative party for any hope of succeeding.

Annaliese Dodds looks like she will get the boot to make room for the big figure who will save them all, for not effectively communicating Labour’s vision (as if Starmer has one). She has not been good as shadow chancellor by any definition, but she hasn’t been any worse than the rest of the shadow cabinet in the last year.

Sir Keir Starmer has been one of the worst leaders of the Labour party in its history. At least the other bad leaders stood for something.

12 Likes

I don’t know about UK politics, but here, for our neo-fascist “conservatives,” radical left is essentially “anyone with whom i disagree.” I wouldnt be surprised to see Joe Manchin described that way by some of them.

8 Likes

Hard left in this context is “anyone who supported Jeremy Corbyn even a little bit more than the absolute minimum”. Pushing them out of the Labour party at this point will benefit no one, except maybe the Northern Independence Party, and a lot of the left already feel like they are being pushed out.

Starmer is trying to appeal to the Blue Labour voters, who are similar to Manchin. Socially conservative, but believe in welfare and unions to a limited extent. A lot of them are over 60, so it’s not really a viable plan for the future of the party.

ETA: there are almost certainly racist and transphobic dogwhistles in that hard left claim too. Starmer’s Labour have done fuck all for trans and BAME people, but that might still be too much for some people.

12 Likes

I think it’s just like in the US - if you haven’t done enough harm to the people the right hate, then you’re a lefty commie bastard.

12 Likes

I didn’t know that the way that the scene as it played out was a rewrite. But I feel my point still stands from a general perspective: Amazon pokes and annoys hard enough to get a rise out of a government official who’s sick of their shit, Amazon gloats and points to the government official’s reaction as if it’s proof that tyranny exists, and tech bros like Masnick run with the idea that Warren wants to punish them for their speech even though he knows that that’s not what’s happening because he’s unfairly targeted Warren in the past, so why stop now?

It’s similar to when right wingers poke and annoy, “just asking questions” of a disingenuous nature to left wing individuals on social media, the left wingers tell them to fuck off for being dishonest and then the right wingers and their friends run with it, saying “so much for the ‘tolerant left’!” and other garbage.

2 Likes

She literally said she would “fight to break up Big Tech so you’re not powerful enough to heckle senators with snotty tweets”

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I just finally found that tweet while poking around. (Insert slightly embarrassed emoji here.)

1 Like

I voted for her but it’s not the best thing she ever said