The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Taco trucks on every corner exists, but it is not distributed evenly. Portland has 4 taco trucks on every corner. That’s the real reasons the Proud Boys visit so often, from so far.

17 Likes

JUSTICE KAVANAUGH: May I – may I ask
one question?
CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Justice
Kavanaugh?
JUSTICE KAVANAUGH: Mr. Fletcher,
following up on Justice Breyer’s question, is
the United States still engaged in hostilities
for purposes of the AUMF against Al Qaeda and
related terrorist organizations?
MR. FLETCHER: That is the
government’s position, that notwithstanding
withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, we
continue to be engaged in hostilities with Al
Qaeda and therefore that detention under law of
order remains proper.
JUSTICE KAVANAUGH: Thank you.

4 Likes

I’m under the impression that at least a few of the Guantanamo detainees were considered to be Taliban without being Al Qaida. It is hard to figure this out from the list of detainees, but are all the remaining detainees associated with Al Qaida? If there are still prisoners in the category of Taliban Enemy Combatant but not Al Qaida, would they still be an enemy combatant? Are we still calling governmental organization that Trump negotiated with a terrorist organization?

My understanding is that this is one of the horrible things about the US’s prosecution of the War in Afghanistan - that they refused to treat Taliban fighters as a legitimate military force subject to Geneva conventions.

1 Like

All good questions.

I think the important thing to remember is that we have always been at war with Eurasia Al Qaeda (and any organisations we arbitrarily declare to be related) and will always be at war with Eurasia Al Qaeda (and arbitrarily related organisations).

More specifically, on a brief read of Hamdi v. Rumsfeld, I think the argument is that Congress authorised the President to use military force against anyone the President determines to have been involved or in some way related to the 9/11 attacks. Therefore anyone the government decides is involved with such a group is able to be classed as an “enemy combatant” and can therefore be detained as a prisoner of war until the end of the “war”.

And since that “war” need never end, they can be detained indefinitely. And as you say, without being considered to be entitled to the protections of the Geneva Conventions on the basis of the well known legal maxim of quia sic ego dico

9 Likes

Web search found me the translation of what I thought was an obscure legal maxim (law is my undergrad) and you are of course absolutely right: this is the most important legal principal for the far right.

3 Likes

And my mom.

5 Likes

Yeah, but she’s your Ma and she’s right. Stop slouching!

9 Likes

Rusty Latin, but “because I said so?” Yeah, that checks out.

11 Likes
8 Likes
12 Likes

In maybe the boldest move of his career, Chris Sky doxxed Chris Sky, revealing his personal phone number to the crowd of supporters.

It only took two days for a visibly angry Sky to reemerge with complaints of “literally thousands of phone calls every goddamn second,” demanding that the calls stop.

Part II: How It’s Going

He’s also facing some charges of uttering death threats to Doug Ford, striking a police officer. That’ll burn a stack of privilege cards.

17 Likes

Not mass shootings.

Maybe there should be a thread just for idiot US gun ownership - people and issues.

12 Likes

Chris Sky, a model citizen for sure.

8 Likes

What the hell? It’s like that lady at the Circle K is just waiting for a reason to shoot someone. What does she care if someone steals some crap from a convenience store?

13 Likes

She just really wants to live in a world where some one thinking of shoplifting figures they have to get rid of anyone in the shop beforehand just in case. It’s a safer world! /S

12 Likes

cR1m3ZZZZZZ!!! /s

11 Likes

I.e. responsible gun owner.

4 Likes

That kid at the candy counter had it coming.

8 Likes

Just some context on this fucker. Actually fuck it. You don’t need any. He’s exactly as he presents himself.

There really is a lack of places to live in Dublin, one which went away with pandemic eviction bans, no air fuckin’B, and a policy of giving homeless people homes (at least temporarily) and then this fucker gives change of use greenlight to student accommodation to be turned into short let.

Doesn’t help that people are genuinely angry at every single hotel being given planning permission at the moment.

He’s not the only problem, but he needs to be slow roasted in public opinion until his continued job is utterly untenable

11 Likes

But, of course, there are so many arseholes in this story, over the course of decades.

Oh, and when it says that everyone made sure to thank him by name when they won an ARIA award (Australian Recording Industry Association), that’s because there were consequences if they didn’t.

9 Likes