The giant ships that ship other ships through the shipping lanes

Mammal one day all will append the appropriate zoological rank to porpoises (and dolphins and whales).

(Okay to deviate when punning.)

:wink:

2 Likes

It distracts one from the more serious, darker parts of life. I literally learned the technique from Stephen fry (Hugh and Stephen Fish Fry, I think it was), because if you can’t have a little light hearted fun, things tend to sink into the deep.

The photos here are fascinating. In all seriousness, I am with @Mister44, I never had any idea you could stack that many ships and it would be structurally sound. It is a marvel.

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/First-Degree-Therapeutic-Cream-0-75-ounces/dp/B001FWXIGK

2 Likes

It’s like a shipception…

I’ll be leaving now…

1 Like

It’s ships all the way UP, man!

1 Like

I’m sure they know what they are doing, but all the same, if I every buy a ship, I want mine to come off the top of the stack, not the bottom.

4 Likes

I literally came here just to post this.

Bless you, you do the Lord’s work.

4 Likes

Dockwise transports quite a few very expensive luxury yachts across the Atlantic. Seems many of these $100+ million playthings can’t handle Atlantic sea conditions.

3 Likes

I see your boats shipping boats, and raise you cranes lifting cranes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpMz63WAjM

1 Like

The price isn’t too bad but the shipping is a killer because nothing can carry it.

edit: but I wonder how they get the top ships on and off. Do they submerge the whole stack until the top one can float independently?

2 Likes

Maybe they kick the bottom one out sideways like in Jenga? :grinning:

3 Likes

So like me, you’d rather pop it from the stack than splice it from the heap? (Okay, that is even too nerdy for me)

It still boggles my mind that this method of transportation is viable. By any metric. But it obviously seems to be, which leaves me scratching my head.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the stacked ships are partially dismantled. The keels and superstructures have been removed. They’re going to a yard for breakage or renovation.

I came to make an identical comment. I must be satisfied with also saying:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

1 Like

5 Likes

I wonder how much they must be charging for their services, and how they got the financing in the first place. 3 billion dollars for a single ship is either an extremely risky investment or a foolproof bet for people with that sort of money.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.