The Golden Ratio is "bullshit"

Let’s not get too close to talking about the relative sizes of other-than-finite sets and their subsets. That sort of thing never seems to end happily.

1 Like

The fact that all matter is made up of small particles that can’t be divided (at least, not while having them remain the same chemical element)

1 Like

Protip: it’s a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

For those who don’t regularly design things, it’s better to use that as a starting point than nothing at all. Plus the whole rules are meant to be broken deal kinda makes it a moot point.

Sorry, I meant to say “the most irrational numbers”.
Have a look at this book around page 85-89 if you want to get a feel for what I’m talking about.
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=EfogbJsTwcUC
In grad school I was interested in whether various perceptual anomalies, including McCullough’s reports, could give insight into perception; I ran across some papers in the late 80s or early 90s discussing these topics. The general topic of critical slowing down and critical behavior in neuroscience has been developed quite a bit since then, I’m not really an expert. I’m just suggesting that if you managed to reproduce W.M.'s data and were interested in explaining it, this might be the direction to look. We would need to be able to internally measure or sense convergence rates of dynamics; in my view it’s a pretty fundamental property underlying perception.

But Universality: optimal Simplexity in Time:

And also but, TED:
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Form-follows-flow-|-Nigel-Readi

Yeah, I remember once we dabbled with infinity, some minds definitely got boggled…

Working as a stage set designer I’ve found that there’s a general feeling of harmony or non-tension if the major lines and curves on the stage are in some simple ratio to the height and width of an actor and./or to the frame (the proscenium or the size of the lighted area). A section of wall twice as wide as an actor is tall, for example, or a platform 1/3 actor height situated 1/4 of the way back from the front edge of a thrust stage (obviously in a steeply raked house; a curve whose radius is 3x an actor height or a wall that rises from 1/3 to 2/3 proscenium height; that sort of thing). The golden rectangle tends to be “quiet”, i.e. not call attention to itself, so it can be a good ratio for a doorway or window if you want the audience to focus more on what comes through it than on the door or window itself.

There’s a general feeling of tension or instability if the major lines and curves are in more complicated and/or inconsistent ratios, especially if they’re also asymmetric.

So I’ll generally get all the basics figured out (seating areas, traffic paths, driving into and out of corners) and then, thinking about mood and feel of the play, I often tinker a bit to get onto those ratios. But they don’t dominate or drive the design; they’re just more like tuning the instrument after you build it.

1 Like

Looks familiar, but I can’t quite put a name to the face.

What are birds? We just don’t know.

1 Like

Terrifyingly.

1 Like

Er… can’t tell if you’re mocking my ideas with that video or something else?

Sorry if I’m being dense, but I don’t understand how that esoteric meme applies to my post. Please elaborate. Are you implying NKS concepts, etc. are too amorphous, unscientific or something?

Meanwhile, (as Wolfram mentions) there’s the applied NKS academic literature with hundreds of new models:

Hair patterns in mice. Shapes of human molars. Collective butterfly motion. Evolution of soil thicknesses. Interactions of trading strategies. Clustering of red blood cells in capillaries. Patterns of worm appendages. Shapes of galaxies. Effects of fires on ecosystems. Structure of stromatolites. Patterns of leaf stomata operation. Spatial spread of influenza in hospitals. Pedestrian traffic flow. Skin cancer development. Size distributions of companies. Microscopic origins of friction. And many, many more.

I apologize if I misunderstand your intent, but without context, I’m not really sure what you’re getting at by posting that video in response to my post.

The Pyramids? Bullshit?

There’s quite a lot of bullshit associated with the Pyramids.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.