The Gorilla Workout helped me transform my body

To be fair, Gorilla Workout is an unusually good workout app. Here’s why I can say this:

• I used to run a blog devoted to weird get-in-shape methods
  • I actually created/published a similar sort of workout app some years ago (mine was iOS-only and based on the (somewhat similar) Canadian “5BX” system.)
  • Between trying to get in shape myself (for both personal and professional reasons), blogging, and doing competitive research, I’ve tried out at least a dozen smartphone fitness apps and a lot of odd contraptions

Here’s what’s good about Gorilla:

• it is UNUSUALLY CUTE. Cute name, adorable gorilla graphics.
  • the app is quite SIMPLE and SELF-CONTAINED and WELL-DESIGNED
  • the workout progression requires minimal equipment - it’s all bodyweight stuff.
  • the basic workout has a nice VARIETY of exercises so the user who just wants to get in shape may not get too bored.
  • If you want to accomplish some specific goal such as 100 pushups, there are modules for that so you don’t need to download and learn Yet Another App, and they’re cheap.
  • Did I mention SIMPLE? It manages to cover the 80% case really well.
  • Did I mention CUTE. I did, but it bears repeating. Cute really helps make an otherwise boring product addictive.

On the other hand:

• it’s not quite AS simple as, say, “7 minute workout”.
  • In particular, keeping track of how many sets you’ve done can be kind of a pain (I use a stack of coins)
  • It’s not as comprehensive/customizable as, say, FitBuilder.
  • If you have access to weights or other specialized equipment, it won’t use them.
  • If you JUST want to do 100 pushups/squats, a “100 pushups” type-app might be a simpler way to do that.
    -If you aren’t ALREADY in somewhat decent shape, this might not be the best place to start - the ramping is weird and not nearly as gentle as 5BX. You could easily get hurt/exhausted and give up.
  • if you don’t find exercise to some degree inherently fun - as the OP author does - you might get bored with this. In which case I’d recommend experimenting with videogame-based exercise. Smartphone games like “Ingress” to get you walking around the neighborhood, or console stuff like Wii Fit or Yourself!Fitness.

Still and all: Gorilla Workout is a fine exemplar of its genre. And it only costs a buck to try and it worked for Ms. Dieker. It’s definitely worth a shot.

6 Likes

I’m craving boob tacos. Since I don’t really know what those are I’m going to Jack-in-the-Box to buy their 2-Tacos-for-$0.99. Probably several orders.

Then the ladies will like me?

A “boob taco” is the pudge that pops out between your upper arm and your breast when you hold your arm against your side. It is roughly taco-shaped.

1 Like

Aesthetically displeasing is fair and well-noted.

Of the four pieces I’ve written for Boing Boing, two of them fall under the category of “let me tell you about this thing I LOVE SO MUCH.” The Amtrak one is by far the stronger piece to begin with, but it’s good for me to think about why that one landed and this one tripped the “displeasing” trigger.

It’s also interesting because two of the pieces I’ve written for Boing Boing also include “I’m going to interview this person who’s created something really cool” (this one and the Slash: Romance Without Boundaries one).

So THING I LOVE is okay, and INTERVIEW CREATOR is okay, but THING I LOVE+INTERVIEW CREATOR hits the “eeew is this sponsored content” portion of the Venn diagram.

(Also, I suspect, the fact that the topic dealt with fitness, weight loss, and apps. It’s like I wrote a perfect storm of a wet fart.)

7 Likes

It’s great that you love it, what was missing was details about the product, screen shots, pricing, context and comparisons to other apps - stuff I expect to find in reviews. The post was more fawning than informative.

Also, the 3d person intro contributed to the infomercial vibe. Did you write that, too?

1 Like

Mod note: If you want to discuss how you think the article was written, start a new thread. Stay on topic.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would have a cost summary :slight_smile:

There’s something scary about the automated directive from a digital device that bypasses apathetic noncompliance with one’s own directive to pursue fitness.
What I’m trying to say is, this just adds more proof to the theory that humans will fall in line, with little resistance, when the computers finally decide to take over.
This may be a rather more dystopian suggestion than the author writing ad copy but I think it’s relevant.

1 Like

Yeah, because everyone would be ripped if only they had a workout app.

Ooh hyperbole, my favourite.

ummmm… Nobody, personally actually does anything without some external motivating factor infecting their memetic, behavior-activating complexes.

Further! There are no people and no actions are ever actually motivated. The illusion of temporal differentiation is caused by the entanglement of particular distortions of an internally mapped and self consistent entrainment of process which lends itself to high level interpretation as a casually connected spacetime.

I’m a lifelong adherent of the ants in the pants approach – it is more of a toning exercise, but if you commit fully 24/7, then it is very effective.

1 Like

Instead of Taco Bell, just head to an authentic Mexican restaurant (roadside cart/truck) and ask for Tacos tripas de leche

2 Likes

full, full, full disclosure, it costs $0.99 for the app and then $8.99 more to get the full exercises.

It seems like a good app but I wish they would have just charged $3 or $4 for it and be done. I hate the nickel and dime crap.

PS- if the author was not paid for this someway (free lunch at least?) they got ripped off.

1 Like

dood taco be is crap boobies are awesome

Speaking for my in-mediocre-shape self, the $0.99 app is plenty. I started Level 1, Workout 1 on Sunday and I am still sore.

1 Like

Machines will not suddenly “decide” to take over. The option will be programmed into them. Regardless, Skynet is a real possibility, and we will sow the seeds of our own destruction.

That which does not kill us…

…leaves permanent damage.

2 Likes

also given Nietzsche’s final predicament an irony too far but perhaps the word ‘us’ is most important in that phrase. Back to Cory’s gut bacteria analogy methinks.

edit: also, I was going to make a comment about the evolution toward rather than the programming of hyper intelligence but realised I might be feeding a troll so went with the enigmatic encapsulation instead.

1 Like

I said Gorilla Workout didn’t pay me for the review in one of my earliest posts to this thread.

1 Like