'The Greatest American Hero' reboot will have a female lead

Yes, but will it be a gritty reboot?

2 Likes

Can’t speak for other then-adolescent boys, but I definitely remember her.

4 Likes

I loved Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, but in retrospect, might’ve been some sort of pre-pubescent lycra fetish going on there. Because that show was awful.

2 Likes

And she’s a Canuck to boot!

3 Likes

The world of the Kroffts has always been sort of fascinating to me, because I have a few friends 3-4 years older than me who grew up with the Supershow, HR Pufnstuf, Lidsville, etc, and have tons of fond nostalgia for all of those shows. I never saw any of them until I was an adult, and my first reaction was “oh my god, these look HORRIBLE,” much to the dismay of my friends.

4 Likes

The great thing about casting female leads for reboots of beloved 80s properties is that when the project doesn’t hold up to the original you can blame it on “Hollywood PC” and “feminism” instead of reflecting on whether the reboot itself was a bad idea.

(Sorry, still dealing with my disappointment in Ghostbusters.)

3 Likes

I grew up with all of those. In the early 70s, it was traditional for the Big 3 networks to do a half hour special spotlighting all the new Saturday morning cartoons they planned to put into rotation. The year they went with the Sid & Marty Krofft takeover (i.e., all live action Krofftapalooza) I was so put out I wrote a letter to the networks saying how disappointed I was with their badly written and dumb offerings.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Not a problem. Whenever she has trouble, some man will 'splain what she should be doing. /s

Meanwhile, Mr. Terrific and Captain Nice are jealous. (Swallowing “power pills” or a cooked-up formula wouldn’t go over too well these days. Hmmm. A show about a flawed superhero on a moral slide to hell…)

2 Likes

OT: That gives me the idea for a LEGO based program: Give two self-proclaimed or generally accepted LEGO experts a classic set without the manual and see who can not only build it the fastest, but how close it is to the pictures and/or plans.

This may have been done, but I haven’t seen it so it doesn’t exist to me.

2 Likes

It is tasteful bustle-influenced hero costume leaning heavily on purple and the smell of wisteria.

I guess they finally got the suit down.

6 Likes

Yay, homestar! I’m glad they are back to putting stuff out!

3 Likes

There have been a TV pilot for Electra Woman and Dyna Girl in the mid 2000’s with Marci Post from “Night Court.” that was not picked up for a series and a few years back, a low budget movie that was a direct to DVD.

I would think that you could do a good version of Dr Strinker.

I just noticed that this Easter’s reboot of Jesus Christ Superstar on [Major Network] has John Legend in the title role. I like the musical, but I really like the casting.

Dr. Encolhedor… A latin version would be great.

Considering the awful (Will Ferrell led, so redundant) “Land of the Lost” movie, I kind of hope the rest of the Kroft properties are left unremade.

3 Likes

What about Robert Culp?

Indeed. If you watch the extra features on the “Hero” DVDs, he’s happy to inform everyone that he was pretty much responsible for all that’s good in the show.

1 Like

Super Breaking Bad. A nice cool guy turned into a villain by force of circumstances.

1 Like