"The greatest restaurant in the world" has South Park ownership, cliff divers, and a 600,000-person long wait list

We always assumed the kitchen was nothing but banks of microwaves churning out frozen Rosarita mexican dinners.

7 Likes

Frozen rosarita dinners would have been an improvement! They were cooking, with steam…

4 Likes

Seems like a better deal than a football team or a mega yacht if you want to show off your disposable income.

1 Like

parks and recreation laughing GIF

2 Likes

The place really is a labor of love - it will never make a profit, and it doesn’t try to hard to do so (which is why the merch is tasteful and generally pretty nice stuff, sold only in a pretty small little shop inside). It probably barely brings in enough to pay the bills - the $40mil is just a gift to keep a piece of history alive.

5 Likes

I finally have reservations for the end of July. I signed up the day I was able to. So excited!

6 Likes

There was a very confused moment when I first read HRC as Hillary Rodham Clinton, before she morphed into Hard Rock Cafe and it made more sense

4 Likes

There’s a crossover zone between a restaurant and a theme park. I remember eating at the Blue Bayou restaurant in Tokyo Disneyland. Tourist filled boats drifted along a gloomy stream at the edge of the dining area. Thus the watchers and the watched both became part of a themed spectacle. I appreciated the irony. The food was acceptable. That morning I had hugged a Minnie Mouse costumed actor during a breakfast featuring pancakes with Mickey ears. My daughter was delighted by the whole experience.

There is a place for these things.

5 Likes

Maybe any of the cards against humanity people?

3 Likes

I signed up the day they opened up the list. Still waiting. I assume at this point that initial list got purged or something and I should sign up again.

1 Like

Oh, man. My brother in law has told me on 3 separate occasions how badly he wants the Mexican frozen dinners of his childhood again. These look just like what he describes.

1 Like

Sounds like they have put sime effort and thought into the “food and beverage program”, in any case:

1 Like

Interesting. i’m curious: @everyone how long did those who have gone in this thread have to wait…?

1 Like

Totally. I always thought that if I was fabulously wealthy this is the sort of thing I’d do. I would never, ever wear something that says Gucci or carry one of those hideous Louis Vitton bags around, but owning something unique and totally rad like this seems like something that would bring a smile to my face every day. Especially if it was so deeply tied to my childhood and career like Trey and Matt. Who cares about the money?

3 Likes

There must be some cut-off point between Matt and Trey spending $40M on a nice things project like this, and Musk dumping $45B buying Twitter on a whim, where it all goes horribly wrong.

1 Like

“a wandering gorilla?” Dude, that’s ManBearPig!!!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.