The Guardian digs into the dangers of working for Amazon

Rly?

Rly?!?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:unamused:

2 Likes

8 Likes

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’ll play along.

Ahem…

Nahhhh. If he doesn’t give a shit now, more money isn’t going to make him start.

Making rich people richer so they can afford to help the poor people under them is a fairy tale the GOP tell their believers.

I’m thinking less money is worth trying. Time to try to at least reign in, if not kick, my Amazon spending habits. I’ll also “contact” them, and let them know that I’m still employed, I’m just avoiding their services until they improve their shitty practices.

ETA for giggles, I did a bit of Googling and math:

Amazon employs 566,000 people worldwide. (link)

Jeff Bezos is worth $151 billion USD (link)

Jeff Bezos has $266,784.45 per person that works for him. (rounded down).

If he gave every employee a $100,000 bonus for Christmas, he would still have more money than I’m likely to ever see in my lifetime.

8 Likes

Yup. It’s come to that.

Between 24/7/365 traffic in the Washington, DC area, products I use on a regular basis that are now on auto-ship (vitamins, tooth powder, etc.), and the convenience of having to go to one website that also donates to my church? Yup. It’s difficult to get by without Amazon.

Does the good your church does with those donations outweigh the deplorable working environment for Amazon workers?

It’s the HR equivalent of Koch bros underpricing their competition because they can save money by spewing the untreated effluent from their paper mills directly into the rivers.

So no, I don’t buy that it’s “difficult” to do the right thing and stop using them.

4 Likes

I said “difficult,” not "impossible. It’s not just the church - it’s the convenience.

I was just saying that Amazon has made so many things so freaking convenient. Hear about a strange hard-to-find cult film? Check Amazon! Just find out about band that’s no longer making CDs? Check Amazon! sigh

Except when it comes to not renewing your Amazon Prime, as I just found out.

You get two choices, cancel it NOW, right this minute, or get a reminder 3 days before it auto renews.

I had to go with the reminder because I have family members using it who would be quite cross if I turned it off immediately. At least before talking it over with them.

I feel “It’s not just the church - it’s the convenience.” should be a slogan for something.

1 Like

Thanks to this in-depth report from The Guardian, you can go on ahead add the company’s refusal to care for their employees in the wake of a workplace injury to the list of reasons to never go to work for Jeff Bezos’ crew.

Or, you know, stop buying shit from them.

5 Likes

that would be insane. The workers would almost feel human again and with their new self esteem demand ever more, Can’t let that happen.

1 Like

I think that Tony Benn’s five questions should be asked to all bosses (or anyone else in power)

“What power have you got?”

“Where did you get it from?”

“In whose interests do you use it?”

“To whom are you accountable?”

“How do we get rid of you?”

8 Likes

Or you could look at it as using Amazon to finance Seamus’s reporting on Amazon. Kinda like members of the resistance who accept government welfare money.

I’m not defending folks who deal with Amazon. I boycott the company. I’d rather get on my bike to go buy something with cash.

But it’s pretty standard ethical practice in journalism to separate the advertising & editorial departments. Except for women’s beauty magazines, where the editorial content often is advertising.

1 Like

I boycott Amazon. I refuse to buy anything from them because of these stories.

Luckily, I only used to buy books from them, and most are easily found elsewhere. I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Kindle.

2 Likes

No, he isn’t.

1 Like

Enraged by the way she’d been treated, she refused and ended up telling her story to The Guardian.

The Guardian? Why didn’t she go to a national US paper like the venerable Washington Post?

4 Likes

Probably biological agents, starting with people of color and white lower/working class. I suspect that the resurgence of alt-right/Nazi/open racism is covertly driven by corporate leadership. Positioning redundant workers as not deserving to live will be added to the GOP playbook in an all-too-near future.

I see wut u did der! :joy:

1 Like

I have a limited amount of energy, so I pick my battles. Right now, Amazon isn’t at the top of my list

That said, @agger_modspil, I have a rule when I do boycott a company. I don’t just stop buying their stuff, I write to them and tell them I’m not buying their stuff and I tell them why. If you haven’t written Amazon, I urge you to do so.

5 Likes

Good idea! I will do that.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Fair enough. He has accumulated $151 billion USD in personal wealth. Better?

Or is the amount incorrect?

@Auld_Lang_Syne

Thank you for the video.

1 Like