The guy who slated classic Star Trek takes was unfazed by the whole thing

You are probably right. I was trying to be kind as even to me at 60 they all looked older in those days. Woman at 50 looked more like aunt Bee then Debbie Harry. My thesis still holds though

Counterpoint, Katherine Hepburn in Guess Who’s coming to dinner!

3 Likes

That guy probably stormed the beach at Normandy, and now he’s holding the slate for a bunch of weirdos dressed as Greek gods and spacemen. Of course he looks bored.

2 Likes

Roddenberry himself was a vet. I mean, yeah, the guy is just doing his job. Of course, these are only snapshots, so who knows if he enjoyed working on the show for the novelty of it. I’d hope so.

1 Like

He may have been unfazed, but was he unphased?

3 Likes

If that was true, he could have swapped stories with Doohan who landed at Juno.

2 Likes

That’s right. Got one of his fingers shot off.

5 Likes

Point Taken.

Couldn’t they have just, you know, added it in CGI?

:joy:

Actually he is probably stressing as all he has left are short ends to work with and he really needs to be loading magazines. In Camera…40 feet.

1 Like

What they should have done is worked Scotty losing his finger into a plot and blown people’s minds with the realistic fx.

1 Like

I don’t think sci-fi was that guy’s bag.

I love that name, if the music’s as good as your choice of names, you’re sure to be a hit.

Somewhat off-topic, but: if you watch TOS on cable nowadays, expecting to see actual TOS episodes, you will be sadly disappointed.

TOS have been “specialized” and all the special effects (including the Intro) have been redone, and significantly altered, in CGI. So, all the iconic phaser fire, photon torpedo fire, space explosions, planets from orbit, alien ships, the typefaces, the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 herself – redone. With the effect that it loses some of its “specialness” and it becomes more of a homogenized “product”.

Certainly, the TOS episodes, such as they were, could have been improved: they had film masters to work from and a much greater resolution could be delivered for HD. But, some spectre of George Lucas appeared, and said “Hey, while we’re improving the resolution, why not improve these hokey special effects as well?”

4 Likes

I just don’t understand people. Is this so the kids will watch it? Like colorizing movies for the people who simply won’t watch B&W? Or like updating Shakespeare to get rid of the archaic language?

BTW, you can’t redo CGI if it wasn’t CGI to begin with! It was all models and primitive optical fx done on an editing bench.

2 Likes

Sadly, it was friendly fire that wounded him! But he didn’t go home. He did something with pilot training afterwards. Can’t remember specifics, but y’all can look it up.

James Doohan’s boots for the win.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.