Circling the USS Enterprise in 'Star Trek The Motion Picture'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/circling-the-uss-enterprise-in.html

4 Likes

my dad and I watched the original series as they were first broadcast. we both agreed this was the best part of the Star Trek the motion picture.

8 Likes

OK, two things that didn’t hit me until rewatching that:

1. Earth only has one starship nearby and it isn’t even finished yet?
  2. They managed to do the whole redesign and retrofit in under 18 months?? Military contractors must be a lot more efficient in the future.
11 Likes

Star Fleet seems to shit out new Enterprises.

7 Likes

One of the criticisms of the movie is that it’s very slow moving. You’re right that the approach worked with this sequence.

11 Likes

Yeah, one of my favorite sequences in the film. And the music was perfect for it.

6 Likes

James Doohan is missing a finger, something that came to mind when they got onto the shuttle and he pressed buttons to close the door.

He was also Canadian Veteran that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day… so stop giving him a hard time when he’s trying to re-align the Dilithium Crystals , man has done enough!

19 Likes

We are going to need more psyllium husk, Captain!

3 Likes

Whoa. Kirk is an anarchist.

10 Likes

For my money, this version of the Enterprise is the best-looking version of all the versions committed to film. Beautifully proportioned, with vaguely art-deco-y touches.

9 Likes

There were some moments that could have been edited out but we are showing off the new model so I can forgive that.
It would be a much much better movie with some good editing though.

6 Likes

I still remember the first time I saw this sequence as a kid. It wasn’t at the cinema but at my grandparents house one christmas day. This film blew my eight year old mind back then with it’s cool new ship design and V’ger was something else with it’s sheer scale and otherworldliness. I still love this film after all this time and to this day the Constitution refit is my favourite ship design of the whole franchise.

2 Likes

The good stuff starts around .45
You should have the music too if possible :slight_smile: As good as ST:TMP.

6 Likes

3 Likes

There’s a good reason for that–the exterior shots of Enterprise were lifted in their entirety from a scene in ST:TMP that comes a little later than the one in the original post. (Totally worth it, though–it’s a great sequence, beautifully shot, and they probably rightly figured that not all that many people had seen it the first time.)

4 Likes

It’s interesting that it was Star Wars that made the studios think that a Star Trek movie could make money… but this scene (and a lot of the rest of the movie, really) makes it clear that it’s trying to echo 2001, a much earlier film.

12 Likes

Well, it looks like they cut corners on the transporter.

16 Likes

I just want to know what those belt-buckles do. :thinking:

2 Likes

In Star Trek: The Animated Series their belts housed personal forcefield/life support units. But the only real reason for that was because it was easier to draw a glowing yellow border around the characters than design and animate a complicated space-suit.

14 Likes

I loved The Animated Series, but never made that connection. Thanks!

2 Likes