Circling the USS Enterprise in 'Star Trek The Motion Picture'

It’s ok if you play it at 2x speed. I’m not sure if the rest of the movie is similarly improved, might have to go faster.

For a moment there, Kirk almost looked bashful before getting ready to engage in coitus with his most beloved.

1 Like

My kids are rolling their eyes: “Daaad, the CGI isn’t that great, why’s it so slooooowww ?”

Pretty much that pace through the whole thing, yeah… slow even for the day…

1 Like

to this day, i still pronounce Voyager as “vee-jer”

9 Likes

Correct righteous indignation at the 12 hour deadline - you want to make them believe you’re a miracle worker, after all…

9 Likes

I’m still impressed that James Doohan managed to make it through three seasons, a bunch of movies and a guest appearance on TNG without ever drawing attention to the fact that he was missing a finger on his right hand.

5 Likes

Yeah. Robert Wise was never much of an editor.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great director, but an odd choice for this movie.

1 Like

Yes. But I like the way he makes sure the audience is never confused about what they are looking at
whenever the scene switches to what the bridge crew is looking at on the main viewer. He wanted to make sure non-fans could follow the movie.

One of the few times he ever lost his temper was when R/Greenberg & Associates showed him the effects they had completed for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The reel showed very few effects completed putting the movie way behind schedule. I could go on about other problems during the shoot…

1 Like

No lie. Kirk’s love for his ship is greater than the myth of him being a womanizer. Giving the ship here this long scene was more than just “showing off the model” The ship was a character as well as any of the cast. This was her chance to shine.

9 Likes

Probably my favourite Trek movie. Slow as hell, sure, but contemplative, and works as a good stand-alone SF movie. I first saw it at a saturday afternoon kids’ film club projection at the NAAFI in our local airforce base in the early 80s as a 10 y/o. Not a good choice on the whole as lots of the audience walked out, but I sat spellbound throughout.

4 Likes

HADDEN: “First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?”

5 Likes

That’s acting!
Directors were very careful to plausibly conceal Mr. Doohan’s missing digit – buried in tribble fur, having a hand standin at the transporter, etc.

4 Likes

DIRECTOR: “OK James, now tell the Vulcans ‘Live long and prosp— oh, right.”

8 Likes

Boy are we a bunch of Trekkie nerds :rofl:

6 Likes

It seemed slow at the time to me as well, but if you compare it to ship and shuttle scenes in 2001 it becomes clear that they were trying to explicitly copy the latter’s rhythm.

5 Likes

I know I am in the minority, but ST:TMP is still my favorite of all the films. I like that it takes its time.

3 Likes

ehm, besides the “slow doesnt mean necessarily boring” you told them its not CGI at all, right?

3 Likes

Some people have unrealistically high expectations for what kinds of things computers of that era could do.

12 Likes