Circling the USS Enterprise in 'Star Trek The Motion Picture'

No one knows why, but all anarchists across the galaxy use the same symbol – even the ones that haven’t made first contact.

1 Like

incredibly under rated film.

2 Likes

Same with Pat Hingle. He lost a finger early in his career, but always managed to cover it somehow during filming. From the Wiki:

" In 1959 while playing J.B. on Broadway, he was offered the title role of the 1960 film Elmer Gantry but lost it to Burt Lancaster because Hingle had a nearly fatal accident. He was trapped in the elevator of his West End Avenue apartment building in Manhattan, when it stalled between the second and third floors. He crawled out and tried to reach the second floor corridor, but lost his balance and fell fifty-four feet down the shaft. He fractured his skull, wrist, hip and most of the ribs on his left side. He broke his left leg in three places and lost the little finger on his left hand."

IIRC, he laid there for almost 36 hours before someone discovered him.

2 Likes

no, its still too slow.

3 Likes

We just watched “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” tonight… they couldn’t believe the cloud sequences were not CGI… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

IhbyMGS

7 Likes

Scotsmen give the finger with the left hand.

When I was 10, after seeing the TOS episodes and knowing every line, I wanted to go see this so bad. We didn’t live near any 1st run movie theaters, so we had to wait months to go at our local opera house theater. The copy they had was so ragged, it jammed the projector and melted 5 or 6 times before they gave up and gave us our money back. I don’t think I got to see the movie until years later at a friends house on HBO just before the 2nd movie was released. I do remember my father complaining about the script and reliance on special effects at the expense of chemistry between the big three. It’s impressive eye candy for it’s time but this scene epitomizes that problem. It’s only the even numbered Trek movies that are any good or really great

Yay Klingons!

2 Likes

And here I was thinking Avengers logo

He was from a generation that didn’t draw attention to things like that.

Probably the best of the odd-numbered films, and almost certainly better than Trek 4: Whales in Space.

Also, many people don’t realize that the studio required it to be G rated.

Hey now, Whales in Space was my favorite movie when I was 10. :frowning:

(I also preferred Return of the Jedi to Empire.)

1 Like

I’m enough older than you that I was able to see the original Star Wars in the theater, and I had been burned by cutesy tongue-in-cheek story lines on my favorite TV shows (BSG and Buck Rogers) So Empire was a revelation to me. Jedi and it’s toy oriented Ewoks infuriated me. Voicing my opinion on the current Star Wars movies would probably get me kicked out of Boing Boing.

Whales in Space wasn’t the worst TOS Trek movie though. The laugh lines were good, even if they were out of character, the whole thing was just a little too camp. “too much LDS in the 60’s” and “Hello, computer” are still laugh lines in my family.

I rate them thusly:

ST:TWOK
ST:TUC
ST:TMP
ST:TSFS
ST:TVH (whales in space!)
ST:TFF (the movie that shall not be named)

IIRC, Doohan was shot five times on D-day. Tough guy.

2 Likes

I wish someone with CGI skills will replace “Enterprise” with “John McCain” then send it to the WH.

1 Like

Unless of course it’s a multiple of 5.

Apparently some people solve the numbering problem by counting Galaxy Quest as the actual tenth Trek movie, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

1 Like

Well, back in 1979 they were explained as being little monitors that kept track of the person’s vital signs and any relevant medical info. An explanation that hasn’t aged well, considering how bulky they were.

In other words, they were Fitbits.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.