The Handbook of Tyranny: stark infographics on human cruelty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/11/the-handbook-of-tyranny-stark.html

4 Likes

Excellent, I appreciate instruction manuals… Mwahahahaha!!!

6 Likes

Tufte + Foucault= take my money

3 Likes

That seems up my street. Perhaps I will buy it?

I would quibble with the choice of words, though. Cruelty is a thing that happens between people, whereas institutional violence happens when people function as an emotionless machine (“the banality of evil”). It matters because it’s important to understand that the worst atrocities are mainly done by normal people, not monsters.

2 Likes

I think you’re conflating cruelty with sadism. Cruelty can also arise from greed, indifference, wilful ignorance, etc. I don’t think all slave traders, for example, got a perverse kick from the sufferings of their victims: they just valued their profits more than the rights, dignity and humanity of others.

6 Likes

They just want you in a specific place at a specific time all the time until you run out of time so you can’t see how much you are pestering them.

2 Likes

It is a good sign that these systems of controls are being identify. We can’t dismantle it if we don’t identify it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.