The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

2 Likes

Sounds great, but which platform? I can’t find it…

2 Likes

I watched it on MUBi which is my favourite streaming service. I watch at least two films a week on it that I wouldn’t watch otherwise. With the lockdowns it has more new content and the film library with it is great too.

4 Likes

Ah! Yes, I enjoyed a fee trial there awhile back. It does have a lot of great obscure stuff.

Thanks!

5 Likes

I liked this film a lot. Hope you do too:

3 Likes

It does, but last time I was subscribed their library was too shallow. Only 30 films at a time, which roll over one per day, so for your month subscription you can see about 60 films. That’s plenty, but if one isn’t interested in all the films… They used to be much better in this regard.

2 Likes

Free japanese movies, only for american cinephiles.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Find by @ficuswhisperer :

4 Likes

I found time for it, thanks again! I agree, fantastic.

Too short, though, given how much more in depth he could’ve gone.

But then, the jerk filmmaker he was dealing with probably wouldn’t have allowed that. The man clearly had very little idea of what was motivating Baldwin to even speak to him. Of what Baldwin was even saying, really.

I imagine you’ve seen I Am Not Your Negro? Also fantastic.

7 Likes

This was an odd little film…

Susan Sarandon was great…

3 Likes

R100.

It was on Film Four one night and it is bonkers.
That was three years ago and I’m still not over it.

4 Likes

(filler to make multiple quote work)

speaking of bonkers Japanese films with numbers in the title, my most bonkers movie nobody has heard of has got to be Survive Style 5+. the title seems to have no relationship to the film, and the film has only a tenuous relationship to reality. but it is superbly crafted, and funny! recommended.

3 Likes

I’m in! I’ve not heard of that but weird and funny I will surely investigate.

4 Likes

you’ll love it

4 Likes

I hope so, perhaps if it is truly amazing it can knock Fish Story from the number one spot of my favourite Japanese Movie of All Time.

4 Likes

i recently watched stranger than paradise which i believe was jim jarmusch first professional film after film school. it was an odd little film. i kind of liked it b ut mrs. navarro was like “well, there’s an hour and a half i’ll never get back. i think i like that three hour silent film you had last week better.”

6 Likes

“Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, he’s my main man.”

6 Likes

He made Permanent Vacation between film school and Stranger than Paradise. Nowhere near as great and even lower budget, but I suppose it also qualifies as “professional.”

ETA: Or not. Wiki says that PV was shot after dropping out of film school, but the STP entry says that PV was his thesis film.

4 Likes