The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Well, this confirms my “nothing after 1975” decision might not have been a bad choice - unless someone makes a strong case for watching Jack Frost.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Russian Film Highlights of 2020

The year’s best are from far, far away.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/12/23/russian-film-highlights-of-2020-a72458

2 Likes

“Do you expect me to talk?”

“No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to sell!”

3 Likes
5 Likes

The Movie Quiz: Which Joni Mitchell song underscores Emma Thompson’s grim revelation in Love, Actually?

3 Likes
4 Likes
11 Likes

Sputnik was fun. I am anxious to see Scarecrow.

2 Likes

Watched this last night. A film about a Chinese filmmaker, exiled in HK after making an unapproved film, meeting her sick mother at a Taiwan film festival. They stay at the same hotel as her tour and have to disguise what they are doing. There’s a lot of very sad people and not a lot of action if that’s your thing. I had to look a couple of references up (things I’d forgotten or things I really should have known but didn’t) to get a couple of bits. I found it very moving.

TW: it’s really fucking sad.

7 Likes

I skipped over that earlier in the week, looking for something a bit more up. I will revisit it, thanks.

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Okay so far. I don’t know the actor playing Dream… but Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer is great and Charles Dance will be perfect for Burgess… I’m also not familiar with who they cast for Lucienne, but I’m on board…

But who will they cast as Death? If they fuck that up, I suspect people will riot.

5 Likes

Just watched “Meeting the man: James Baldwin in Paris” and he is absolutely incandescent on screen. Fantastic. Obviously they wanted to make a certain film about exiles finding freedom or whatever and he was having.none.of.it.

Just brilliant. Didn’t eat the bait and didn’t want any of their pat romanticism. Just raw searing truth for the brief 30 minutes of the film

Watch it. You’ll be glad you did. I’m sure.

8 Likes
3 Likes