The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

14 Likes

Curry!? That’s a rather tender subject.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I can recommend his excellent, if heartbreaking, I, Daniel Blake.

Many of the details are UK-specific, but the overall theme is applicable to many other countries.

10 Likes

Seconded!

2 Likes

Recently watched Félicité on Amazon, and could not stop thinking that our healthcare system is headed in a similar direction:

6 Likes

I sat through Am*zon’s “Uncle Frank” the other night. Some good acting, but man oh man, what an awful plot.

3 Likes

That’s too bad, because the cast looks great. Last film I saw with Margo Martindale was Blow the Man Down - a must see flick on Amazon.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I am not a great fan of computer cartoons.

3 Likes
7 Likes

You’re helping me see the positive side of the pandemic - watching whatever I like, and avoiding every film on this list! :grin:

6 Likes

ETA: Lang also gets props for leaving Germany. He could have stayed; Goebbels basically offered him carte blanche at the UFA studios - in exchange for changing sides and toeing the line. Lang walked. (Or more accurately, told Goebbels hed’d think about it thanked Goebbels for the offer, went home (soaked in cold sweat), packed, and made a run for the border.) Yes, he could be fairly sure that he’d make it elsewhere, he already had an international reputation, but still.

Edit: re-watched Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse the other day. The DVD extras include an interview from the 1950ies (?) with Lang where he remembers that meeting.

10 Likes

Try this one:

6 Likes

pretty much

13 Likes

I can’t complain about this movie without spoilering this movie. I will just say there is a time and place for everything, and releasing this in the US in 2020 was not in any way a good thing to do.

I didn’t enjoy it. The performances were awesome. If the actors had been offered this in 2020, I don’t believe they wouldn’t have taken it. It’s cringeworthy now.

2 Likes
6 Likes

There really needs to be some love in this thread for Steve McQueen’s fantastic Small Axe series. There just has to be.

7 Likes

Yuppers. That’ll make for one superb boxset.

ETA: And this bit in the article is absolutely on point -

and a scene where the revelers dance and sing to Silly Games — one of the genre’s biggest hits — alone is worth the price of admission

Loved that scene.

The following is also worth a read as it covers the subject of the final film and education’s ongoing discrimination.

5 Likes
4 Likes