The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

One of my daughter’s particularly loves the secret of Kells and the other song of the sea.

3 Likes

I can somewhat understand the confusion though, because the folk elements invoked by the film are very much English, not Scottish ones.

2 Likes

They’re wonderful. I took my mother to the theater once to watch Song of the Sea. It was a local cartoon festival and I became a child again thanks to the adventures of Saoirse and Ben. It is so cool to share these stories with the family and loved ones.

Did you watch “The Breadwinner”? It is a powerful story told in the form of a beautiful cartoon.

Long ago, when I was visiting my sister in Dublin, I bought this DVD that brought together the videos of a TV show called “Anam An Amhráin”. It’s very good. My favorite song is Bean Phaidin. I love the voice of Mr. John Beag Ó Flatharta.

2 Likes

Things can get blurry in the Borders. Some bits are Celtic, while other bits are Anglo-saxon. That’s not relevant to the plot, but a lot of the film was shot in Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.

Those places are like a second home to me. Maybe that’s why I feel so protective about the film.

7 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Holy shit, I forget what thread I was in saw “Tilda Swinton” and “60” and nearly shrieked because for half a second I though this was the dead celebrity thread… I’m glad I gave it a second look, cause my better half on the other side of the table would have been pissed.

9 Likes

the headline was very poorly-worded, I agree

6 Likes
4 Likes

The exact same thing happened to me.

4 Likes

Treachery! Lou’s mum sold his beloved roller skates at the garage sale. A series of strange and revealing encounters begin when he inevitably goes looking for them in the buzzing crowd.

2 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Was hoping to see Lost in America on this list, Most of the films weren’t about the average worker bee, though, just two out of ten. I’ve only seen a few of these films - which was enough to make me very cautious about banks, savings, and companies offering get rich quick schemes.

4 Likes

“Say it! Say it! Say, ‘I lost the nest egg.’ Go on, say it!”

I think his riff about how she can’t say the words 'nest or ‘egg’ ever again is the funniest part of the movie.

4 Likes

After reading this, I had to watch it again. Albert Brooks was too funny!

6 Likes

I saw Ken Loach’s excellent Sorry We Missed You last night. It adds vivid relevance to items like this one:

6 Likes