The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

it was the questions about permanent vacation that led to my description.

true story, i played bass in a blues trio in the late 80s. i put a spell on you was the one number i sang lead on because i was the only one in the band willing to completely put myself “out there” like that on the song. the rest of the time i was the silent, sunglass wearing, bassist who never came forward that any blues band could aspire to.

10 Likes

Loved the Wizard of Oz joke in that movie.

2 Likes
7 Likes

I have no idea what to think of this movie. The soundtrack that played during the movie was nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying to me. The acting was good. The story was one long cringe, ends in disgust, and then ends again in more disgust. It’s like Coen brothers, without the heart or underlying likable perspective.

I did not enjoy it.

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I put it on my list, but wasn’t sure about watching it because I have seen too many cases of this IRL. I’ll pass.

5 Likes

I kinda think there will be dissenting opinions. I get that it is supposed to be enraging and basically hate-inspiring, but… I dunno. I think things needed to be said that weren’t, and I think when you fill your movie with truly evil people you have kind of an obligation to say those things.

Otherwise you might as well be making a happy movie for those kinds of people. I can see really awful people watching this movie and being inspired.

4 Likes

Saw this last night, thought it was enjoyable. Great recreation of the era, nice homage to old school Hollywood romance, great decentering of white folks.

7 Likes
3 Likes

16 Likes

Good piece on the great cinematography in a movie I liked a lot, Straight Up

6 Likes

We don’t talk about the animated series.

3 Likes

Haven’t seen that film, will do. I may have mentioned this before but I enjoyed:

3 Likes

Thanks, looks good! Another good thing about Straight Up is that it avoids those three conventions she mentioned.

4 Likes

Netflix recommended a limited series called Behind Her Eyes, so I watched two episodes:

It contains an interesting depiction of privilege. The office worker being pressured by her boss’ wife, her inability to push back and say no when she clearly wants to, as well as the resulting manipulation, boundary violations, and silencing carried out by the wife are chilling to watch. I plan to watch the rest to see how it all plays out, but that power dynamic really jumped out at me.

2 Likes

What you mean we, maqoch?

Alan Dean Foster’s novelizations of the animated series, under the Star Trek Logs banner, are pretty good based on the couple I read.

5 Likes

thats the joke GIF

3 Likes

After watching Straight Up, now I want to see the Sarah McLacharena :laughing::

5 Likes

Except on Lower Decks. Everything is canon on that show. Even the Voyager ep where Janeway and Paris become giant mudskippers

5 Likes

Ah, thanks hadn’t heard of it!

How’d you like Straight Up? The ending confused me at first, but after awhile, I decided it was just right.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought the ending was great, too. Better than The Way We Were.

4 Likes