The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

“Diane”

Quietly devastating portrait of women facing the end, if you’re into that sort of thing.

It’s really stuck with me. Mary Kay Place does a fantastic job.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/Yl1WJA0T5II

4 Likes

Marie: I heard a song which reminded me of the way we were.
Nathan: What song was that?
Marie: The Way We Were
-The Jerk

6 Likes

just finished watching the 2009 film dogtooth directed by yorgos lanthimos. it’s a strange little film. the cinematography is something like a blending of neutral observer and idiosyncratic home video and each scene is filled with diffuse light. there’s a very quiet “what the hell was that” quality to the film that is both tragicomic and disturbing.

the synopsis at wikipedia contains spoilers–

4 Likes
7 Likes

Recommended! Numerous thumbs up. Especially great acting and sense of place.

4 Likes

Ok, it is official: I am a sucker for Star Trek sh*t.

3 Likes

If you liked L’opération Corned Beef you might like this one, that I watched last night:

I would say it is very much of a spirit with the Reno movie. Maybe even stupider, but with higher production values (and a similarly wasted good cast). (Yeah, I know this is a reply to a post from a long time ago, but I only got around to seeing this movie last night, and immediately thought of the other, and of this exchange.)

1 Like
2 Likes

Recently watched Harry Dean Stanton’s last movie with David Lynch playing a barfly mate of his (whose missing tortoise is the maguffin in the movie) and a host of old character actors just being there and being alive and vibrant on screen. I guess it’s heartwarming!

ETA - not his last movie

This however isn’t. I watched it as it’s a gangster movie from Wuhan in 2019 and, well my limited exposure to Chinese gangster movies is that they are grim and fatalistic. Maybe all gangster movies are. This one the heartwarming element is a guy shot a cop and he’s trying to get himself handed in so that the reward will go to his abandoned wife. There’s no thought of escaping (or you know, living). It’s I suppose what people would call “neon noir” but, obviously Lurid LED would be more accurate.

Wuhan, by the way, looks like a fucking hole.

5 Likes

Good pandemic viewing?

I didn’t know that Camus’ The Plague was made into a flick. With William Hurt and Robert Duvall!

Think I’ll give it a chance.

7 Likes

OH! Let me know how it is if you watch it.

3 Likes

I wonder how many high school students watched that movie for term papers in the last 28 years?

2 Likes

16 Likes
11 Likes
5 Likes

We watched this last weekend, and now MUST look into writer/director Kelly Reichardt’s other films.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve liked several of her movies, especially Certain Women. Hadn’t heard of this one, looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s available in different regions but Criterion Channel has the Women in Film documentary series. Heavy hitters in there with a master class in film theory narrated by Tilda Swinton.
Directed by… Mark Cousins. He’s great… but the directors featured are in a league of their own.

6 Likes

Shatner’s the lead in a new romcom this year.

1 Like
5 Likes