The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

5 Likes

I would say that this trailer has been carefully neutered to avoid showing the elements that originally made the film so controversial, mostly a lot of Mary nudity and possibly the angel beating up Joseph.

4 Likes

Do biblical mockumentaries make the cut?

3 Likes

Wow, I was surprised. No Ben Hur, Barabbas, The Robe, The Silver Chalice, or Quo Vadis.

4 Likes

Ah, the film Paul Newman publicly apologized for.

5 Likes

Where Jack Palance fails to fly.

1 Like

I know. It’s still in my family’s “holiday watchlist,” though. My eldest cousin only watches The Ten Commandments for Yul Brynner. :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

8 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years?__twitter_impression=true

5 Likes

Soon, the studios will have to make an expedition in small publishers, in search of the remaining obscure heroes like Savage Dragon, Concrete, Roxomill, Badger or Tio Maneco.

2 Likes
1 Like

Horror movies don’t scare me as much anymore (especially if it’s a repeat viewing) unless I’m in precisely the right mood, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still respect them if they’re well done. I think Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) is merely a very good film, but the other four are classics, with the original Night of the Living Dead and Nosferatu being two of my very favorite films. And the writer prefers Saw? I think that says all that needs to be said.

4 Likes

I stopped watching horror movies just before A Nightmare on Elm Street came out. The emphasis on sequels (like Friday the 13th), camping/lost in the woods themes, and plots that focused on increasingly gory ways to kill off the characters seemed more disgusting than scary. I’ve heard about so many films that brought back the thriller element, but haven’t been inspired to catch up.

Lately, horror inspired by the Black experience in the US has me hooked. I started with Jordan Peele’s films Get Out and Us. Now I’m watching Them on Amazon. None of that will ever be laughable, so comedy films will be next on my list.

9 Likes

Bah, I like very much every each one of them.

A movie that IS very, very scary is “The Exorcist”. But when the priests arrive at the house and it becomes very boring.

6 Likes

Horror as actual horror works best when it’s rooted in the believable.

White audiences, therefore, eat up the idea of crazed lunatics in the woods, or nasty hordes who are… not-us, shall we say.

So, I don’t know why some critics are so surprised that films like Get Out or Parasite are so popular… well, I do, but it’s because the metaphors they invoke aren’t things white people believe are real. For us white people, identity theft is an individual, depersonalized, financial thing. We empathize with the “sweet innocent” white girl, whereas Black people already know that holy, shit, yes, she is the most dangerous of them all. And many of those critics don’t know how to say “Perhaps the issue here isn’t the movie. Perhaps it’s because I am now getting to experience the idea of something not written explicitly for me.” They can’t wrap their heads around the idea that there might be things going on that they don’t understand, because they were raised with monsters that hide under the bed or in dark corners, not ones that drive around in black&white cars with flashing lights, or demand to speak to the manager.

I also think about how Knives Out hit: white people saw it as comedically over the top in its racism, whereas non-white people were pretty much “No, no… it’s funny, yes, but it’s funny because it’s true.”

4 Likes

Yes. this trend is cool. Have you seen " it Follows"? it is a nice movie with a paranormal STD. I saw “Us”, it is such a cool movie that make us nervous. But I think “Run” is much better. I couldn´t watch it properly, as it makes me unconfortable.

I also like sad and even tragic horror movies, specially with ghosts. I liked " The Orphanage", “The Others” and " The “Devil’s Backbone”. I even likedthe “Haunting of Hill House”, except for the ending. The ghosts can be scary, but the living ones are the real danger.

5 Likes

This movie was pretty scary, but not gory at all…

It was an excellent film, though.

9 Likes
8 Likes

You had me at Ruth Wilson. Ever since Luther, I get chills whenever she appears on the screen.

7 Likes

She’s really great in it… it’s legit scary, too.

4 Likes