The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

15 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

OMG, that series (the whole thing is on HBO Max) is least likely thing one would expect from a cable docuseries. In a good way.

3 Likes

On that note, there were some great Korean War films made fairly recently worth a look

Taegukgi Brotherhood of War
71: Into the Fire
White Tiger (about Korean soldiers in Vietnam)
The Front Line

3 Likes

Good! It looks great from the trailer. I’m looking forward to seeing it once it’s on DVD.

3 Likes

There’s a ‘Black Movie Test’ Floating Around That’s Too Easy. Here’s a ‘Black Movie Test’ to See If You’re Really Dedicated to the Cause

4 Likes

If you have even a passing interest in film-making, or in stop-motion animation, or just want to be tickled pink and smile all the way through a film, then you must check out The Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman. Of the three in the collection, we started with The Fabulous Baron Munchhausen last night. I can’t recall describing anything ever before as being “charming”… but this film certainly was. Apart from the very clever in-camera and practical effects, there was the slowly transpiring then wonderfully surprising turn toward fabulists in general, with – finally – a clear homage to then current fabulists, that is, those involved in space exploration. Too many juicy bonus features to go into, but we did immediately dive into one of the docos which we had to stop a quarter of the way through: too much being given away re the other two films. One can purchase the three films separately. The three film set packaging is set up with three cute pop-ups!

6 Likes

Just did a rewatch of Only Lovers Left Alive, and it is such an awesome movie. I can see how a lot of people might be bored by it, it’s very… ambient? I dunno, place and sound are essential to it. It’s one of those movies that really get “being” right. Huge talent involved, as well. Just a great movie.

9 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

All of Jim Jarmusch’s films are wonderful. Highly recommended.

7 Likes
6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Whatcha Watchin’?, Season Two

Watched Godard’s Alphaville for the first time, since it was recommended to me back in 2013.
Pretty interesting philosophical film about a futuristic city scape called Alphaville where logic prevails and everything is stripped of soul.
Looks like it was made on the cheap, but gotta hand it to the new wave for liberating people from the superfluous film crews and all the doo-dads.
Filmed in the 60’s… saaaa bit misogynistic… but perhaps part of the commentary.
*Definitely inspired Blade Runner

5 Likes

I am a fool for cartoons.

6 Likes

And it’s a “Lemmy Caution film” (low rent detective franchise). And it’s a comedy. Though we were the only people in the cinema laughing.

As for low budget, it was no budget, and no fucks given. I don’t love Godard, but I do really like that he did what he did (like most people, not quite so sure about what he does…).

5 Likes

Every time he swatted away a bellboy, I laughed.
Hope that’s not too revealing of my character, but that had to have been part of the comedy.

1 Like

Yes, yes a thousand times yes!

The best of bunch is the middle one. Essentially the entire film is set in woodcut illustrations of Jules Verne novels. It shows off his animation/creative set design/live action integration skills at their peak.

Invention for Destruction

But if you can find it, also check out On the Comet

4 Likes