The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

6 Likes

I just watched the second film, have seen the previous film a while ago:

Both on Netflix… starts off as you’d expect with regards to almost any slasher film that’s influenced by the classic era of American slashers, but then takes some interesting twists and turns. I do wonder about the political messaging, which might be more obvious to a viewer from Poland… worth the time, though. And it seems like they might be making another, given how the second film ended…

3 Likes

Watched this last night:

Really good fun, was pleasantly surprised.

5 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

winona-ryder-skeptical-clap

4 Likes
5 Likes

Just watched Help with the amazing Jodie Comer and Stephen Graham (probably not so well known to US mutants but he’s great) about a care home in the early days of Covid.

It’s seriously grim. Obviously. And I’m sure it will be distressing to many of us having lived through that awfulness. So far at least.

5 Likes

I think I wasn’t in the right mood for this. It recreates Sixties colors and fashion in beautiful ways, and the ultimately feminist message intrigued me, but the B-movie parody thing didn’t. I think it was too much like a B-movie for me, a bad one.

This was much better!

3 Likes

They both seem cool…

Speaking of low budget films… how are they still making these…

2 Likes

The story of this community - how it was established, what happened to it, stories told by current residents, and the mystery of the Clotilda - is both engaging and enraging:

6 Likes
3 Likes

I wasn’t either. I watched it last year and really wanted to like it as I had read about how she makes her own costumes, writes, directs and just does so much with an aesthetic that appeals to me. She’s obviously brilliant, and her work looks amazing (it’s a bit of a thin filmography cos when you’re building sets and making the costumes it takes quite a while) but I don’t love it.

3 Likes

I try to watch It before the election next sunday.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Childer looking forward to watching it with me! They’re on Disney these days aren’t they?

2 Likes
1 Like

Director Accidentally Locked in Criterion Closet for Weeks Forced to Eat Own Films

4 Likes

See Barbarian knowing nothing, Don’t look up trailers, synopsis or cast. Go in totally blind and hang on.

Trust me. Do I look like a monster?

3 Likes