The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Yes. Public archives are very important. But unfortunately they are not that accessible. The lazy and easy alternatives are what companies offer or piracy.

Another annoying thing that some streaming services do is the habit of offering movies or other products accessible only after paying a fee. We already pay monthly or yearly subscription but to watch something interesting we have to pay extra money.

6 Likes

Yep!

Kanopy is better that way, and available for free via many public libraries.

But yeah, if the corps that own films don’t release streaming versions, there’s little that even a more public-minded service can do to make them available.

4 Likes

Here in the states, public libraries are doing a pretty good job of offering people a streaming alternative, @milliefink mentions Kanopy for example… But the film has to be available there, of course!

4 Likes

Inter-library loan is good for this. My local library system will have another library anywhere in the country mail me the DVD from their collection for $3. That’s how I was able to see Dawn Of The Dead and To Live And Die In L.A., both of which are on that list.

6 Likes

Oh yeah… I’m hip with ILL! It was indispensable for writing my dissertation and other things!

5 Likes

Yeah, my university library just dropped a ton of the items that used to be available on Kanopy.

5 Likes

That sucks… did they need to save a few bucks to hire yet more administration? :thinking:

5 Likes

Or something like that. Ironically, the city library’s Kanopy now has access to many more obscure/artsy/intellectual items (Canyon Cinema films/Trinh T. Minh-ha/etc.) than the uni. Alas, the city’s Kanopy has a cap on the number of plays per month.

5 Likes

That sucks, but at least there is access!

4 Likes
5 Likes

How long until Heidi versus Winnie the Pooh?

5 Likes

this was fun, topical to today’s situation in this country and loosely based on some actual events in the 1930s.

7 Likes

I’m thinking she could take on Bond villains, too. After all, Heidi briefly defeated the NFL once! I’m not gonna underestimate her, or any other Swiss women… :wink:

season 10 episode 20 GIF

6 Likes

This looks like it’s going to be amazing, but probably really tough to watch…

https://www.avclub.com/saint-omer-movie-review-alice-diop-1849972622

Why no one-box?

4 Likes

Thanks, it looks great!

3 Likes

With a cast like this, media coverage of 80 for Brady should be interesting! Still, the object of the characters’ affection will make this a tough one for me to watch: :grimacing: :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

Yep Reaction GIF by Rosanna Pansino

5 Likes

Yeeeeah. That right there makes it for me a pass (heh).

3 Likes

40+ years since Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin were together in 9 to 5. Wow!

4 Likes

And less than a year since they were together in Grace & Frankie…

Netflix GIF by Grace and Frankie

6 Likes