The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Rod Serling is my hero and role model since I was a child. I am serious. I have failed him in many ways, but i will always strive.

3 Likes

Recently watched this interesting biopic about José Hernández on Amazon:

It covered eras and historical events very well.

GIF by Shalita Grant

6 Likes

I left work a bit early yesterday to meet my 15yr old at the cinema and we watched the re-release of Stop Making Sense - it’s the same as before IIRC. Just an A24 ident at the beginning. She’s a drummer and thought Tina Weymouth was the coolest person on the stage and that the Tom Tom Club were a better vibe than the Heads themselves. I probably don’t need to mention that she has impeccable taste. I digress. It’s great fun and yes you should probably go and watch it (again) yourselves but we were somewhat disturbed by some of the footage towards the end of the concert. There were costume changes and the Big Suit actually arrives quite late in the show. And then he takes off the jacket. And puts on a hat. And it looks like this…

stop Maga Sense

Shudders…

If he’d dropped the mic and picked up a golf stick I would have actually barfed in the cinema…

3 Likes

If I had kids I’d go and watch the re-release with them. Because that’s just good parenting.
As it happens I don’t have kids and I watched it as an impressionable youth when it came out - all I need to re-create the experience are my memories and the album. Because it just was that good.

Anyone who hasn’t ever seen it: book your ticket now.

6 Likes

Ask a Mortician did a video about this guy… I guess don’t watch it if you don’t want spoilers?

5 Likes
6 Likes

I often watch movies in English with Japanese subtitles, and often the subtitles are just plain wrong. It’s not even a matter of nuance; the English has been misunderstood.

A recent example that sticks out in my memory is the latest John Wick movie. There’s a scene where Wick and Winston are talking in a cemetery, and Winston tells Wick what he should do. He ends by saying that if Wick doesn’t like the idea, he can always “pick a plot.” It’s obvious that he’s talking about a cemetery plot (he takes a glance around as he says it), but the Japanese subtitles say, “何か他の策略を選べ,” which means, “Choose some other scheme.”

I’ve learned to take subtitles with a grain of salt.

10 Likes

There are a lot of noticable and conflicting practices in subtitle translations. What tends to bother me is deviations from what is said in English (I use subtitles all the time). It’s clear the same people didn’t work on it.

For language studies I might switch the audio and subtitles to different settings as a way to build vocabulary. Inconsistencies with honorifics in Korean and formalities in Chinese do come up a lot. In Romance languages it’s sometimes odd to hear people speaking informally to everyone - bosses, cops, clergy, older strangers on the street, etc. It’s only in Korean that characters chastise each other for that particular breach of etiquette, though. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

8 Likes
1 Like

I am super-excited to see this… it’s about a Texas-based wrassling family that had several tragedies in the 80s… I remember the Von Erich brothers quite well. They were always exciting to see and it was awful what happened to them…

If any wrestling dynasty deserves the dramatic treatment, it’s the Von Erichs…

1 Like

From ViceTV’s Dark Side of the Ring “Last of the Von Erichs”

Jim Cornette: Kevin (Von Erich) told me he used to have 4 brothers. Now he’s not a brother anymore

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

7 Likes

Great movie, great performance by Thandiwe Newton.

At every turn magnifying the dramatic power of this story is Newton, an actress of exceptional grit and grace who’s capable of communicating more emotion in a single, simmering look than many pages of dialogue could exposit. (Indeed, Newton’s central role on HBO’s “Westworld” often seems devised to showcase this.) She’s in every scene of “God’s Country” and rises to the occasion with a performance of ferocious strength and vulnerability, the greatest of her career. Though the film’s mood of solemn restraint characterizes her work as well, Newton lays bare Sandra’s inner struggle between lived defiance and learned despair as the fight of her life.

And so the progression of her character’s bone-deep weariness—the hardening of her anger, strength, and convictions into a cold, annihilative rage that drives the film to its conclusion—has about it the inevitability of a gathering storm, a reckoning, and a tragedy.

3 Likes
1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

Wow, he’s worked with so many actors I’ll probably never watch again. What are the odds?

1 Like

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Superweird…

Also, the line where he says he’s a 13 year old and will never grow up…

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

This line…

“I will never be a more mature film-maker. I will carry the 12-year-old me with me wherever I go,” he says proudly.

Well, 12… same diff…

3 Likes

Just watched The Sentinel on the netflix…

All sorts of people are in it… Burgess Meredith, Chris Sarandon, Jeff Goldblum, John Carradine, Beverly D’Angelo, Eli Wallach, Jerry Orbach, and a surprise first appearance by Nana Visitor… Just a warning, that it’s kind of lesbian-phobic…

2 Likes

It’s amazing how many films that guy has made, which I have never watched. I’m told Zodiac is good though to be honest I don’t tend to watch murder procedurals and turned it off. A colleague was wondering how I hadn’t seen it in the cinema given I would have gone at least twice a week at the time. Time has not been kind to his oeuvre!

Went to see this last night:

Kid loved it. I thought it was okay. Probably bumped up the rating because we watched the new Scream the night before and I thought that was pretty shit despite the actors being game (and Jenna Ortega’s character doing a name check of actually good films at the beginning).

I suppose I shouldn’t have expected much from a franchise based on a kids first movie:

We did watch Carrie though which was kind of fun. Mostly from checking out the bits people copied in contemporary films and shows (like Stranger Things “hey look! There’s Barb!”) People were horrible in the 70s. Teachers and the like.

2 Likes

If you haven’t yet, check out Willy’s Wonderland

3 Likes