The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Somebody already booked my dead-center seat but I got the next one to the right. So excited! Now I just have to rewatch 26 episodes in 20 days…

6 Likes

Wait, what specific Evangelion do we need to rewatch before that?

4 Likes

The original 1995-1996 tv series

5 Likes

I’m jealous! I can’t make the screenings near (over an hour away from) me. Hope you have a blast! I bet it has an even bigger impact on the big screen.

Proud Neon Genesis Evangelion GIF by Mega64

3 Likes
5 Likes

I dunno. Cats the musical is a freak in that it was successful. Lots of cocaine sure but…. It’s not actually any good.

Bonfire of the vanities is one of the worst, and worst written, books I have ever read. It only rises above vapid when it’s really annoying…

Can’t imagine wanting to watch Kingsman so a watered down, dragging it out, scraping the barrel “meta” continuation is of no interest.

These are turkeys from the get go. That they have source material which was inexplicably popular is the actual mystery, not that they tanked.

6 Likes

You only had to see the trailer to know that Argylle would be a flop. The CGI didn’t even rise to the “nice try” level.

5 Likes

I sometimes feel like there’s something wrong with me because I’m like the only person I know who really didn’t like Kingsman. Like…at all. I realize all of this is a matter of taste, but I really didn’t like that movie, so have had zero interest in watching more of them.

8 Likes

No, but the butthole edition will be brilliant…

4 Likes

Look I feel for the people who have to do CGI/animation for something they know is awful, under pressure like they are going “to ship” art. We were thinking it when watching Sing 2 “imagine working on this for years after signing on to it because Sing was fun and charming and they remove all the charm and replace it with Bono and there you are staring at it day after day and the soul leeching out of you…

Are you saying all turkeys deserve a butthole edition?

4 Likes

No, no, no… just Cats…

4 Likes

Just finished watching this:

Visually astonishing, some steampunk stuff in there for the afficionados, and a wonderfully twisted storyline.

4 Likes

Thanks for weighing in, but I don’t know, I’m still not tempted. I’ve heard too many critiques like the first one in the compilation of reactions below. And anyway, I just can’t get intrigued by yet another story that says the important thing about a woman is all about her + sex. :person_shrugging:

Bella, Stone’s character, has an infant’s brain – and the consent issue for a woman with learning difficulties is a blazing red flag. She embarks on a “voyage of self-discovery” which leads, quickly, to an insatiable desire for sex with as many men as possible, one of the oldest abuser myths.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ve been have similar skepticism about the film, too.

3 Likes

Strange. Might be geoblocking, but I get a message that the video is private.

2 Likes

They only had it out publicly for a week.

3 Likes

Although the brain of an infant was transplanted into the adult body of Bella, by the time we meet her in the film some years have passed.
So, yes, a childlike observation of the outside world, which she has yet to explore.

I’ll admit to putting off seeing this film for the exact same reasons you mention, but, having watched it, I think the whole “sex-crazed infant” reporting is deliberately inflammatory. That wasn’t what I got from the film. More like the story of a wide-eyed child who has discovered chocolate for the first time.

As the film progresses, and Bella gains more power over herself and the other characters, we see a pretty rapid growth into adulthood.

Mark Ruffalo’s character, who the viewer will dislike from the moment we meet him, gets a truly deserved comeuppance, and the men in the brothel scenes are basically caricatures of man’s weakness.

Anyway, I’m no critic, those are just a few of my thoughts.

ETA:
I’ve had a chance to read the Guardian link now.
The headline does not do the thoughtfulness of the writers’ contributions justice.
Great link, thanks.

5 Likes

Since the title of this thread includes “Video Viewer” I’m going to post this rant here. I’m going to start blocking every single YouTube channel that has a video of some well known musician in their 40s or older reacting to hearing “Super Popular Overplayed Hit Song from 20 Years Ago” for the first time, even though said song has been overplayed on the radio and on tv, has been used in movies, tv shows, commercials, and been covered 157,342 times by every artist from Abba to Zendaya. It’s such blatant click bait/algorithm manipulation, and it’s really getting old. Specifically this time…you expect me to believe that the bass player from Jane’s Addiction has never once ever heard Toxic by Britney Spears? Come on.

9 Likes

I go as far as not to click any video that has “reaction face” as its header image.

It’s like if a site makes me take ages to click stop tracking me: I don’t need it in my life.

I guess that’s why I didn’t even know this awful phenomenon existed. Thanks. I hate it.

7 Likes

Thoroughly recommend.

Sort of a 70’s vibe to it (at least to me).

Heist comedy with heart, and a modern twist re Big Pharma (won’t say any more in case of spoilers).

2 Likes