The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Police Squad! - Wikipedia!

4 Likes

If you weren’t so fond of the languid and beautiful bourgeois melancholy of The Virgin Suicides you may find this more to your taste instead.

About five young Turkish sisters being brought up by their grandmother who get locked away to keep them pure when someone complains about them having fun with boys. There are some beautiful ups like when due to violence only women are allowed at the big football match the youngest is a huge fan of and they escape and watch Trabzon v Gala with the craziness that only a Turkish football match seems to have. And a lot of down too.

It’s a Warren Ellis soundtrack if you go for that kind of thing.

Her next film was English language and it bombed. She’s done episodes of Handmaid’s tale and other shows since then which makes me worry she is lost to non-English language cinema.

Pretty sure a lot of people here would like this.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, and yes. Just one thing to add: do not watch Poor Things before, during or after a meal.

As a lover of Romanticism (the literary movement), I am always happy to see the rare movie that follows the ethos of this enormously impactful but all too often forgotten era in the history of literature.

3 Likes

For sure, and thanks for bringing it back to mind. I loved it!

2 Likes

I hasn’t heard of it until last week and knew I had to watch it!

It hit me in the feels.

2 Likes

We just watched Saltburn tonight.

I urge you not to make the same mistake because it was just nothing other than shit.

Worst film I’ve watched in quite a long time. TLDW? The problem with inter generational wealth is upstart poors. It’s not even funny enough to be laughable. What a worthless film.

8 Likes

Wow. No redeemable qualities whatsoever?

6 Likes

I’d heard enough to that effect to not bother with it. Life’s waaay too short to waste time on shit movies, and I have a massive backlog of classic giallo and Kung-Fu films waiting…

6 Likes

I’ll second the thanks for confirming what I’ve heard elsewhere. Sounds

vile GIF by Jenni Sparks

6 Likes

Watching Damsel right now. I love that Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn’t need any audio effects to sound like a dragon!

ETA - It was not a good movie

3 Likes

Ah no, it looked great. The sets and costumes and actors were all good. I’m very fond of Rosamund Pike and she was comedy. It wasn’t dead boring and it passed fairly quickly even if you never learnt to care about any of it or even find almost any of it funny.

It did remind me also that I really don’t like that song murder on the dance floor, but you better not kill the groove, DJ.
Puhleeez!

5 Likes

Yeah, me too. There are always great movies to watch (like I really recommend the two most recent I suggested above Unrest and Mustang), problem is if you sit down on a Friday night you might just stick something on from a streaming service and that’s a mistake. They’ve mostly dropped film at this stage. Bad TV make line go up it seems.

5 Likes

https://www.avclub.com/civil-war-movie-review-alex-garland-kirsten-dunst-1851338165

:thinking:

5 Likes

[Watch this amazing stop-motion animation: “HIDARI” - Boing Boing

[:fire:Full version​:fire: Behind the scenes of HIDARI: The Stop-motion Samurai Film youtube.com)]

3 Likes
4 Likes

:clap:

And this piece is way wrong-headed. Just plain stupid really:

Opinion: ‘The Zone of Interest’ — a Holocaust movie without Jews

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/19/opinions/zone-of-interest-holocaust-movie-rutland/index.html

No Jews? They’re there during the entire movie. That’s how it won a well-deserved sound design Oscar. :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

Pop Tv Judging You GIF by Schitt's Creek

Maybe I’ll just see this instead…

1 Like

Dana Carvey What GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the first Joker, nor do I feel the need, I have however seen Napoleon. Well I saw half an hour or something and it really is a dismally bad movie. I have tolerance for Napoleonic stuff, I’ve read most of the Master and Commander books. And Phoenix used to be one of my favourite actors. I have actually said I’d watch anything with him in it in the past. No more. Now I will take his presence as prima facie evidence of a stinker. Like Will Smith has been for decades.

Napoleon is shit without Phoenix, but he would have made it shit on his own if it hadn’t been.

6 Likes