The history of movie popcorn

I only made it to the Arclight in Hollywood once, for a Cinerama screening of How The West Was Won a few years ago, with a couple cast members from the film (and Gregory Peck’s family) in attendance. It was pretty great!

The theater with a special place in my heart for me is at the George Eastman House in Rochester NY, a photography and film museum built in the Kodak founder’s mansion, which has a massive film archive. The theater was kind of run down (it was just majorly spruced up this summer, but I haven’t been back to see it), with a lot of charm (it’s in an early 1900s mansion…), and broken seats… but top-notch projection (and they have the equipment to project absolutely anything, even volatile nitrate film).

They play something different every night, either something from their archives or new restorations of classic films, arthouse type films not in wide release, etc. - I even saw Godzilla Final Wars there, which had only one other screening in the US, at an Asian film festival in SF. Always with a live introduction by film historians or people knowledgeable about the film’s subject matter (a couple of record shop owners introduced Repo Man), and sometimes the director or cast members.

And they have popcorn, and it’s cheap. I was a cheapskate university student when I lived in Rochester though so I usually didn’t buy it.

And I agree that a lot of films are more entertaining, and/or more meaningful, when seen with an audience. That doesn’t just apply to comedies and horror movies - I’ve even seen serious documentaries that had a bigger impact because I was with an audience. And the best are “so bad it’s good” type movies - I saw some of those at the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood which was fun.

Not everybody necessarily cares about the “experience” aspect of moviegoing, of course… or for example they don’t appreciate how going to a run-down cheap theater could possibly add anything :slight_smile:

And even at theaters that draw good audiences, there can still be problems… at the George Eastman House I sat in the same broken seat every time I went, in the second row (which was only slightly too close to the relatively small screen). About 75% of the time, this lady with big hair would come running in just as the movie was starting (or a couple minutes late) and sit in the seat that she sat in every time she went… which was the one right in front of me.

Finally, these days I eat a lot of popcorn at home when watching movies on TCM, using an air popper my parents have had for 30 years or so. I use one of those olive oil mist sprayers and salt (which sticks to the oil); never been a big fan of butter on popcorn (whether movie theater “butter” or real butter)

2 Likes

Hey! I was there! I’d been waiting years to see it, and once they installed the 2nd and 3rd projectors, I knew it’d be only a matter of time before they struck a fresh 3-strip Cinerama print of HTWWW. Totally worth it! I don’t bother going to the Dome anymore. The sound is great, but the curved shape of the screen means only a few seats have halfway decent viewing angles. Plus, when Arclight restored the interior, they kept the rows too close together. At 6’2", I want more legroom than that. The regular Arclight theaters are more comfortable for me.

Other than HTWWW and a screening of Dr Strangelove, the last movie I saw in the Cinerama Dome was probably Return of the King. I had seen the extended versions of Fellowship and Two Towers there the week before. Some iron-assed souls watched both those extended versions immediately before ROTK’s first screening in the Dome, meaning they spent around eleven hours in that theater with nothing to eat or drink but (admittedly superior) movie theater food. My legs wouldn’t have been able to take it.

1 Like

I am really bummed out that the Egyptian closed in Seattle. That was an awesome cinema, not least because of the midnight cult film showings at the weekend. Their sister cinema, the Harvard Exit is great though.

I also really liked the Electric Cinema in Birmingham when I lived back in the UK, first one I ever went to that allowed you to bring in drinks from the bar (I believe they sold Absinthe, too).

Also props to the Living Room in Portland, another awesome little cinema.

I appreciate good cinemas a lot after living in Savannah for 2 years. The options were pathetic and the patrons the rudest I have ever experienced (forget texting, I had one guy who got all angry when he was asked to stop taking calls during the film), and we had to go to either S Carolina or Florida to find somewhere showing anything vaguely out of the mainstream (including Moonrise Kingdom, for chrissakes!).

1 Like

We had an air popper for a while when I was a kid, and it worked pretty well for a year or so. But we usually popped our popcorn in an actual big saucepan with a lid, in a squirt of vegetable oil, and buttered it afterwards. Man, that was good popcorn. On occasion, back in the 70s, we used the little Jiffy Pop thingies.

That took some wrist-wiggling skill, otherwise it’d burn.

I don’t mind microwave popcorn, really. Seems much better than it used to be. But it still doesn’t compare to good fresh-popped popcorn from the greasy pan.

Damn. Now I wanna go to the movies. And it’s 1:07 am. Thanks, guys. ;^)

Ha, that’s awesome. I bet we were both wearing our Wayfarers too.

I wanted to go to 2001, which they had around the same time they did HTWWW, but couldn’t go.

A friend had a LOTR extended edition marathon party about a year ago, with something like 20 people in a tiny apartment. It involved a lot of food and alcohol, and most people I wouldn’t say actually made it through (despite not requiring iron asses in that setting). Some people rudely started playing Catan partway through Fellowship, and then it all went downhill. There were three or four of us actually interested in paying attention (not just at the best parts), including my girlfriend at the time who had only seen Fellowship, and we proudly made it through despite the annoying distractors.

Not sure I’d want to attempt it in a theater though.

I’m going to try the saucepan method. The last time I tried it I was probably 8 or 9, and my three-years-older troublemaker sister had the idea to try it when my parents were out (I’m not sure why, because we had the air popper).

We didn’t know that you have to put oil in, and we didn’t shake it or anything. So it just burned, and filled the house with a rather impressive amount of smoke, setting off all the alarms. My parents still use that pan, and it still has the popcorn burnmarks :wink:

Oh, and while I’ve had decent microwave popcorn, it’s really rather variable by brand. I like the one Trader Joe’s has, but their bags are half the size of a standard microwave popcorn bag for some reason. Their plain kernels (for air popper or stovetop) are the best I’ve tried too, and much better than most “gourmet” types.

1 Like

I did a marathon at the cinema with the special editions of Star Wars back in '97.

I don’t think I could do it with LOTR because Jackson’s changes to TTT still make me so mad I can hardly stand to watch that film. Oddly, the other two I don’t mind so much.

I would do a Star Wars marathon in a theater, for sure. I did see all three in the theater in '97, but not a marathon (I mean, I was only 10 or 11). Not that I endorse the prequels, but I did a marathon of all six Star Wars films when Episode 3 came out (and I went to an opening midnight screening) just because I could… but I staggered it over a couple of days.

About a year ago they had Raiders of the Lost Ark in “IMAX” in most IMAX theaters. I saw it a few years ago at the George Eastman House in 35mm, and while that was better experience-wise, the digital “IMAX” version was actually quite impressive.

When I went, mid-week, they ran an ad for a marathon on the weekend of all three Indiana Jones movies (and actually they had the fourth one too)! I kicked myself for not knowing about it, because I’d already paid what was really too much for the Raiders ticket and I had other plans for the weekend.

My friend who had the LOTR marathon party is a hard-core Tolkien dude, and shares your anger about certain changes. By the time we were at TTT he was quite drunk, and made sure to let everyone loudly know about everything that annoyed him about TTT.

1 Like

Youtube deep linking now works, e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4LOiDQ2XjU&t=1m28s
http://youtu.be/S4LOiDQ2XjU?t=1m28s

Where the time goes at the end as t=1m28s

1 Like

Huzzah! Would have come in handy during Badass Space Dragon. Glad it’s here now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.