The hottest song of the summer is by a bunch of tweens from Cork

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/the-hottest-song-of-the-summer-is-by-a-bunch-of-tweens-from-cork.html

10 Likes

I was skeptical, but that slaps! Well done!

11 Likes

Yeah, I was worried it was going to be B*witched all over again.

5 Likes

I had never heard of them, so I Googled and watched a video. I would like to return to the time when I had never heard of them, please.

5 Likes

I had just moved to Dublin when they had their moment. They were inescapable.

I promise this wasn’t a trauma response :wink::+1:

5 Likes

The kids are definitely alright. In Ireland, at least.

3 Likes

much better than i was expecting! it’s catchy as hell, and i love the positivity, which is something i haven’t heard in rap in a long time. as a side note, i’m always fascinated by hearing other cultures rap.

3 Likes

Rapping in french sounds amazing

This is one of my favourite things, too. A British hip hop fan in the 80s, one of the things I hated the most was that so many of our own acts were trying to sound American.

These days, though, it’s accents and languages aplenty, and isn’t that brilliant? Keeping it real, as it were.

…And sincethe topic has been raised, here are a few Bitish accents rapping that I have particularly enjoyed, over the years.

West Country:

Yorkshire:

Scotland:

…And, oh gosh, I could go on but should stop.

7 Likes

Video for BBS:

9 Likes

Don’t forget Northern Ireland! (though I suppose the question of their relationship to the United Kingdom depends largely on grant funding)

3 Likes

Those rhymez are ICE COLD. Nice!

amazing! it’s originally such a product of the inner city experience, i’m finding rapping with farm equipment amusing just because.

Not bad. The kids are alright.

:+1:t4:

2 Likes

One of the guys in that group (ExP) has a whole track on the internal struggles he felt when he first wanted to be a rapper but couldn’t hide from the idea that the genre hadn’t been created either by or for people like him. Rather sweet lyrics, really.

I still cringe when people rap on telly
Outside of the right context, rap’s so silly
The good thing about rap is everyone can have a go
The bad thing about rap is everyone can have a go

From NY To WY: Spotify

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.