The “Impossible Burger” is a plant-based burger that tastes like meat and bleeds like meat

Whoops, my bad. Provocative word choices seems to go hand in hand when carnivores and herbivores sit down together.

I should have said: You are welcome to dine on your fillet, chosen from an animal that had a great life at a rotating crop farm/ranch; where chickens and cattle provide fertilizer to a fallow lot and then move to the next lot so veggies can be planted in their wake. (There are such CSA’s in the Willamette Valley). And butchered by an artisan (of which there are dozens in PDX). Accompanied by a prize winning Oregon pinot noir.
I will still use organic wheat from Dufur, Oregon to make my seitan “steak” with a gravy of fresh morels.

2 Likes

Having been a vegetarian for 15 years, the idea of being able to have a savory, substantial burger of some type to grill alongside my friends – something that’s not, say, a portobello mushroom cap or a mushy patty made of frozen vegetables – is very appealing.

It has nothing to do with ‘addiction’ or ‘pretending’. It’s just another option to add to a palette of flavors, and I’ve no idea why it would anger people.

22 Likes

The Impossible Burger does get the point. It’s healthier, avoids industrial meat production, is easier on the environment, uses fewer resources, is well suited for places that can’t irrigate for animal feed, and involves zero animals. For people whom those things are important, it’s a great option.

18 Likes

Not sure what @Grey_Devil’s point actually is; vegan food is “crap” and “overprocessed”? It doesn’t make sense to me, it’s like talking about reality with an US Republican.

5 Likes

Cool - but surely you can continue telling others they have stinky diseased colons. That’s always appropriate.

3 Likes

I gather processed meat is more the problem in that regard. But yeah, also that regular consumption of plain old red meat can do it too.

1 Like

If the plant materials in the impossible burger are raised organically, there may be animals in the stream to create the organic fertilizer. With “conventional” fertilizer, it could certainly be 100% animal-free. They claim it uses zero animals so I guess we can take them at their word. I’m all for it!

1 Like

Who knows? But that discourse does little to encourage the disassociation of the words vegan and colon. Which some seem to relish by their actions.

Genetically modified free range wheat? Count me in!

4 Likes

As a lover of food (it’s why I went to culinary school), including meat, I will be first in line to eat meat alternatives when they are finally 1) economically viable and 2) a close approximation of the taste and texture of actual meat.

That may be veggie or other approximation, or it may be “lab grown” actual meat.

Right now I’m lucky enough to be able to afford, and live in an area with an abundance of, small-scale traditional livestock farms that do their best to produce ethically raised products for purchase.

But they are 1) incredibly expensive, meaning most folks can’t make that choice, and 2) still slaughtering animals.

I will choose instead to support the approximation of meat (or meat from new sources) when available to remove the reliance on animals and, hopefully, assist in allowing economies of scale to make these products affordable to everyone.

16 Likes

Is that a common association? Do you associate the words vegan and colon? Do most people?

That’s the first time I’ve even heard that connection.

As for me, I do associate “meat consumption” with “unhealthy colon,” among other unpleasantries (but yeah, I don’t run around verbalizing that association to meat-lovers).

2 Likes

Exactly my point!

It’s not meat. Quibble negated.

1 Like

Don’t be so literal. But yes - there’s an association of a certain segment of vegan true believers with something like dudebros.

I should have known to avoid the comments. The comment sections on vegan-related stories always suck, even in enlightened places like boingboing.

9 Likes

8 Likes

To the vegetarian guinea piggies: belated April fool! It was meat after all!

3 Likes

Ah. Vegan, colon, asshole, that whole set of tired cliches.

I think I get it now, thanks for sort of explaining.

What do you dislike about the comments? I find it difficult to relate when somebody takes the time to post only that they don’t like the discussion.

1 Like

This comment section contains these sentiments (these are not direct quotes, but rather—sometimes highly exaggerated—paraphrases):

• Vegan stuff is covered in pesticides, so I’d rather eat meat.
  • Vegan meat analogues are stupid and people who eat them are doing veganism wrong.
  • Vegan meat analogues don’t make sense.
  • These is weird Frankenstein food, and it’s probably worse for you than eating beef.
  • Tofu is gross.
  • I will never stop eating meat.
  • Disparaging vegan stuff is cool, but disparaging meat-eating is uncool.
  • Vegan food isn’t really vegan!
  • Vegan food isn’t real food.
  • “Ethical” meat.
  • Some vegans are obnoxious.
  • Take that, vegans!

It’s like vegan bingo, every. single. time.

Although (silver lining)… no “How can you spot the one vegan at the party?” or “Soy gives men boobs” jokes!

Edit: Oops! I misunderstood one commenter’s point, so I removed something from my fascinating list.

21 Likes