The “Impossible Burger” is a plant-based burger that tastes like meat and bleeds like meat

Everybody should look up Pat Brown, the guy behind the company. He was a pioneer of genomics.

But does it taste like dispair?

4 Likes

The funny thing about those is that it’s chicken that does that.

2 Likes

I was wondering that too.

I did a Gogol image search for “bleeding hamburgers,” and it appears that only veggie bugers brag about bleeding. This seems like the basis of some horror movie.

2 Likes

Bordello?

5 Likes

You haven’t heard people talk about preferring their steaks bloody (even if it’s not actually blood), or joking that they want their steak so rare it bleeds?

Maybe people don’t talk about burgers and blood, but I’ve definitely heard talk about steaks that bleed.

3 Likes

I was thinking of this one:

But Gogol Bordello would work too.

2 Likes

Of course, he named the band after that Gogol, so it’s all good!

3 Likes

Yes, with streak, but somehow never with hamburgers.

Give it a try. Search for “bleeding hamburgers” and you’ll get appetizing images of plant-based patties like this:

1 Like

tell me this “meat” burger isn’t processed with a straight face

1 Like

Define processed.

2 Likes

I’m a meat eater. I’m literally frying two chicken legs right now. That said, I have no problem with vegetarian variants of meat-based processed foods. While I will eat a hamburger every couple of months, I acknowledge that they are heavily processed, almost losing all of its meat qualities. Compared with some spiced raw pork on a bun, a Mettbrötchem, what some Germans call lovingly meatalite, they aren’t very meaty at all. And I’ve tasted some pretty goods substitutes for mortadella, too.

2 Likes

Good gods, you can cut the cynicism here with a knife.

Someone has created a veggie burger that meat eaters have extreme difficulty distinguishing from the real thing. Is it some utopian perfect food that will reverse all social, environmental, ethical and health woes ushering in a new golden age for mankind? Probably not. Is it an amazing step forward? Yeah.

Shesh. Put things in perspective.

25 Likes

After that last drought, the 74% less water is good enough for me.

10 Likes

My shoop skills aren’t up to it, but I have long wanted to take some “Expendables”-type bare-chested machismo movie and alter it so that all the warrior dudes had big lactating breasts.

Seeing as how “the point of not eating meat” for a great many people is “not killing animals,” I’d say this achieves that objective quite well.

13 Likes

There is a world of difference between a steak and a burger. Honestly it grosses me out when people order burgers rare or even medium rare, and this from a guy who eats tartar.

1 Like

I would suffer if I had to go full vegetarian; I think that “appropriate to a species” applies to me as well.
However, I went off pork about 30 years ago. Depending on location, alternatives were sometimes hard to procure - this has gotten much better over the last couple of years.

It’s a health concern, too - when you cook a steak, a large amount of the bacteria is surface bacteria, which you kill with high, direct heat.

Ground beef literally mixes all of that together, so you have to heat all of it to a higher temperature in order to get it all. That’s why a rare steak is ok, a rare hamburger is much more likely to get you sick.

On top of that though, have you tried those (perhaps by accident getting or making an underdone burger?) UGH. It hasn’t firmed up yet and is essentially mush in your mouth. Ew.

I’ll take my steaks rare to medium rare, and my groud beef medium to medium-well, please!

5 Likes