The infuriating harassment of women who favor gun sanity

What state?

In mine, Oregon, this could be true within the hour (half travel time):

If I want a gun, I just go to walmart and get it – I can then leave it loaded on my coffee table.

2 Likes

What state?

I’m in NJ.

It’s possible to disagree with someone without labeling them as a “extremist,” you know. Again, we’re talking about a woman who is herself a legal gun owner and Second Amendment supporter. This is exactly the kind of person that gun activists should want to have on the other side of the table when debating new gun legislation.

It seems to me that one side is bringing more “reasonable” people to the gun control discussion than the other.

10 Likes

I frankly think that all criminal laws should be uniform from state to state. That a person can be committing a felony crime in one state where the same behavior in another state is perfectly legal is an insane way to operate a nation and maddening as a citizen.

Local ordinances are, of course, different.

3 Likes

Well online the gun control advocates I know have spent years trying to take over certain political blogs. And they have time to do that because many of they are online 24/7. I’d like to see them step up there game four or five notches in terms of doing something IRL instead of trolling on the issue year after year after year. Many of them are in fact disabled with emotional/biochemical problems, and they have their clique of very similar people, and that clique is pretty much their whole lives.

I think this is a big part of why the cause of gun control keeps getting rolled back legislatively. If Hillary wants to run on that issue, she’d better realize that many of these people seem to never leave the house, and they probably have no money either.

Not to go off topic, but the people that are actually out there fighting for gun control are being left high and dry by these online cliques, which are also driving away possible supporters.

It’s possible to disagree with someone without labeling them as a “extremist,” you know.

I have never labeled her an extremist. I have said:

Adding additional regulation to legal gun owners - who are already under an onerous burden - is extremist in it’s lack of understanding.

and

The problem is that the reasonable people are never involved in most political conversations; it’s always extremists vs. extremists.

Please don’t miscategorize my remarks.

2 Likes

The behavior and name calling reminds me of the backlash presented against some female gamers/reviewers, etc. Ironically, women are often accuse of acting out of emotion, but in both of these cases we have grown ass men reverting to acting like 13 year olds in the school yard.

The behavior is indefensible. I can understand the passion behind a disagreement of views, but personal attacks and name calling makes you look like an idiot, weakens your cause, and turns people off. Whats worse is if these vocal attacks continue and get big enough, it becomes the face of your cause, leading to stereotyping and further alienating you from people who might otherwise agree with you.

5 Likes

If you don’t characterize her as an extremist, then

is clearly not the case, because she entered the public conversation as a reasonable person but was answered by extremists.

8 Likes

[quote=“Mister44, post:27, topic:31452”]
The behavior is indefensible. I can understand the passion behind a disagreement of views, but personal attacks and name calling makes you look like an idiot, weakens your cause, and turns people off. Whats worse is if these vocal attacks continue and get big enough, it becomes the face of your cause, leading to stereotyping and further alienating you from people who might otherwise agree with you.[/quote]
Wait, which side are you referring to?

Online there are plenty of folks playing the guilt-by-association card claiming gun owners sympathize with militias, white supremacists, or whatever deviant is making headlines this week. I’m not sure that online discussions have any useful purpose because it is so dominated by trolls on both sides.

2 Likes

[quote=“moneta_mace, post:26, topic:31452”]I have never labeled her an extremist. I have said:
Adding additional regulation to legal gun owners - who are already under an onerous burden - is extremist in it’s lack of understanding.[/quote]
If that wasn’t supposed to be talking about Longdon, it’s puzzling why you made that your answer to a post whose only content was asking whether you thought she was an extremist.

10 Likes

You do have a point.

On the other hand, as a Canadian, I find the average American position towards private citizens own owning firearms to be moderately insane. The idea that just a couple hours from me is a place where car ownership is more stringent than gun ownership perpetually blows my mind. And not in a good way.

14 Likes

Ya gotta love those pro-gun extremists. Seriously, or else…

1 Like

Just to add some perspective: About people who are gun owners and say they support the 2nd Amendment - but…

For some people that comes off exactly like when someone says, “I’m not racist, but…” or “I can’t be racist, I have a black friend.” Just because they proclaim to belong to a group doesn’t mean their views line up with the majority of that group. Indeed there are many anti-gun advocates that enjoy armed protection, hard to acquire permits, and/or enjoy certain shooting sports. They are pro-gun for the vetted elites.

Though this isn’t really good for discourse, I just wanted to throw out how some people see things.

3 Likes

A person can offer an extremist (outside the mainstream) proposal, without that person being an extremist (fanatic). As I said, again,

Adding additional regulation to legal gun owners - who are already under an onerous burden - is extremist in it’s lack of understanding.

I think that suggesting that law number 2023 will improve a situation that the the previous 2022 laws didn’t address has a severe lack of understanding of the problem, no matter what their stated position is.

I’m pro-gun, but completely against anyone physically attacking or making verbal attacks or threats to support the issue. It hurts the cause, and as you pointed out, rational, normal people get lumped in with these turds because of the loud, ugliness they present makes headlines.

This is probably true. I argue hoping to sway people reading/lurking.

5 Likes

Sorry, I’m just still not digging this “extremists vs. extremists” characterization since it smacks of false equivalency, especially in this particular case.

One side is making arguments that some gun owners disagree with. The other is physically assaulting women and personally threatening them with rape and murder. If any “pro-gun” activists regularly face the same kind of treatment that Jennifer Longdon does then I’ve yet to hear of it.

13 Likes

If you don’t hear of it, it doesn’t exist? Solipsism isn’t my philosophy of choice; I assume the world is bigger than my personal world view.

2 Likes

Open Carry Texas are to the Second Amendment what NAMBLA, Stormfront, and Westboro Baptist are to the First.

They are usually within their rights. I will defend their rights.

But the way they choose to exercise those rights puts them on my list of people the world would be better off without. If and when their own stupidity gets them killed, I shall be quite happy to pop a bottle of champagne and organize a great big grave-pissing party.

3 Likes

You seem to be implicitly arguing that “pro-gun” activists are facing ill-treatment similar to Longdon’s. Kindly provide an example.

8 Likes

This is an interesting comment because one thing I hear a lot from the pro-gun crowd is that “people who don’t understand guns shouldn’t be the ones writing the laws to regulate them.” This is an especially popular sentiment in discussions about so-called “assault-style” weapons.

But when someone who DOES have a lot of first-hand experience with guns tries to propose new regulations they’re immediately attacked as a traitor/hypocrite/elitist whose views don’t line up with the majority of gun owners.

9 Likes