'The Last Starfighters' might get made

Also known as the “Wave Motion Gun” paradox. You have a weapon that can wipe out most if not all your enemy. Why on earth would you wait until you are almost destroyed to use it?

1 Like

The concept art looks like “Top Gun, but in the Last Starfighter universe”…

2 Likes

That’s a solid cult film right there.

2 Likes

I think everybody here watched it at the very same age. I am a fan too.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s because your ultimate weapon will leave you dead in the water afterwards, a sitting duck to any surviving enemies, but that just pushes it back to: why did they design it like that?

Perhaps a penultimate weapon that destroys only a lot of the enemy, but has multiple shots would be a better idea?

4 Likes

The storyboard pictures in the video look like they’re out of The Mandalorian.

If it gets made, I hope it isn’t just a vehicle into which you could plug the plot and characters from any modern space opera. The first film version of Raymond Chandler’s Farewell, My Lovely was actually The Falcon Takes Over, because the Falcon series was already out there and looking for a new plot. The movie wasn’t bad (after all, George Sanders), but squeezing one thing into another sometimes feels disrespectful to both things.

2 Likes

Indeed, that is reason originally given in Space Battleship Yamato. It was also meant as an analogy for nuclear weapons, so using it as a first-strike weapon would be morally reprehensible. The problem with that, though, is most space operas are written so that the stakes are “human extinction,” which negates most of the moral argument, at least until the hoomans themselves reach the point of being able to make the alien enemy extinct.

TV Tropes covers this topic a lot better than I can, and saves me a lot of time typing.

1 Like

When this came out, it was indeed the cool young male video game player movie. And the computer graphics were sooo good.

Now looking at them hurts my soul.

You apparently cannot ever go back.

Because Interplanetary War Weapons 'R Us policy says, if you use it, you’ve bought it. So, if you can win w/o using it and wish to return it…

3 Likes

Did I miss something, or is there no cite for a link to any mention of a remake?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.