The latest popular uprising in Hong Kong is fighting to keep Beijing from dragging dissidents to mainland China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/12/xi-vs-hk.html

4 Likes

What, they’re going to miss out on the best communist party…

BitterSaneFreshwatereel-size_restricted

4 Likes

This is going to get very ugly. I cannot see the Hong Kong situation with China ending well at all. I really hope I’m incorrect in my assertion.

6 Likes

China is under financial and political pressure from all sides right now, and the dragon historically doesn’t respond well to being cornered.

2 Likes

I do not hope for another Tiannamen style massacre, but if they crack down like they did before it will be a disaster - imagine Tiannamen streamed in 4K from thousands of people.

I try to keep this nym semi anonymous, but I will say that one of the things that made me interested in technology and internet was helping people in countries like HK speak freely.

We should all stand with them.

2 Likes

What immediately comes to mind here

1 Like

I don’t see Winnie-the-Pooh as the type to back down easily. He’s already exhorting the masses to get ready for another Long March, so I don’t think another Tiananmen or even another Great Leap Forward is entirely out of the question.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.