The Leaning Tower of Pisa is empty inside

Yeah it was built in 3 stages over 200 years (because of running out of $ and a war with Florence pausing it twice).

I was there last year and they let about 20 of us up at a time. I was mainly surprised by all the other buildings around it, all the photos I remembered seemed to have cropped those out. Here’s one I took: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPEaJ-cBUQz/

3 Likes

Kind of a bummer there aren’t any face-sized (but not head-sized) holes in the fence for an unobstructed view.

1 Like

I don’t think the public’s been allowed up it for many years (but I may be wrong).

ETA ref

… that I must have been wrong. Though I was there in 2000 and nobody was getting close.

I doubt medieval Tuscany had invented OSHA yet. :wink:

I did. It’s not really all that tall, but it gives a good view over the surrounding town area. I liked it, but then I one of those weirdos who enjoys heights.

1 Like

Early drop tower for microgravity experiments.
https://www.zarm.uni-bremen.de/en/drop-tower/general-informationh.html

3 Likes

… I am so confused as to how your putting your FACE on cool surfaces while pooping?

Are you Butters?

3 Likes

Why is one of the tags for this post “kids”? #pisaGate

1 Like

You can get a slice at the Costco around the corner from the Leaning Tower of Niles:

(In recent years I’ve “had” to go to Pisa on several occasions, as I have a close colleague there, but I grew up near the shorter tower and the first time I encountered the real thing it was a bit disconcerting.)

2 Likes

I went to Venice and braved the heights of the campanile of the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore; that’s across the Grand Canal from St Mark’s and the Doge’s Palace. I’m hanging on to the railing for grim life while trying to take in the spectacular view, when, about 2 meters way, the bells start to chime. I damn near fainted.

3 Likes

Looks like they reopened it in 2001…

1 Like

Hmm, I did go up a tower similar to that, not sure if it was that one though… I want to say the one I was in was in Florence. Long winding stair way to the top.

1 Like

I had the opportunity to go up the Duomo in Florence and its Campanile, and decided it was going to be a long climb just to be terrified. The Whispering Gallery in St Paul’s was bad enough :wink:

I went to the Duomo, just not up it. Really nice. Also wen tot Santa Croce where Galileo is buried. After confirming with one of the information people he was still excommunicated, but the Medici’s got him a tomb in the church, I remarked they just have had more money than God.

1 Like

Florence is so full of amazing art, architecture and bizarre history; like some guy’s corpse being used as a doorknocker, and Michelangelo wrapping a church in mattresses to protect it against cannonballs during a siege. Of course the Medici’s were God’s bankers, so I guess that had some serious pull with the man upstairs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.