How engineers fixed the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Originally published at: How engineers fixed the Leaning Tower of Pisa - Boing Boing

7 Likes

Don’t forget the efforts of countless tourists who have all been pitching in a hand over the decades.

13 Likes

Just have everything else in town, including the people, lean at the same angle.

7 Likes

Especially this guy:
DseU

14 Likes

This would’ve all been much simpler if they’d just let Ronald Hamburger get involved.

4 Likes

I have never been, but the place must look absolutely ridiculous at times.

7 Likes

I felt kind of silly doing that with my cousins when I visited but the law is the law.

10 Likes

pics or it didnt happen

1 Like

I was the one taking the picture when my then-young Italian cousin was doing the posing so I’m not going to post it, but trust me that it looked pretty much the same as the thousands (millions?) of similar pictures out there.

It’s just a silly ritual everyone does when they visit, like rubbing the snout of Il Porcellino for luck when you’re in Florence.

4 Likes

How was licking the blarney stone?

5 Likes

Unhygenic.

4 Likes

You gotta really deep tongue that thing if you want the blessing to take. It’s a slutty, slutty rock.

9 Likes

It is a lovely statue; even as a copy of a copy. That snout was just made for buffing.

3 Likes

It worked. Did it when I was about 7 on a visit from London, mam and dad swore it definitely increased my inability to shut the fuck up :+1: (though they may have phrased it more delicately to me…)

2 Likes

“remember this, my son: its not all leaning just because you are sometimes leaning.”

5 Likes

Made me think of ISIHAC Helpful advice for tourists.

2 Likes

My favorite part about Pisa wasn’t the tower, but the near by church that still had its walls lined with art. It was really remarkable.

3 Likes

“The tower”? There’s more than one, you know.
images

10 Likes

Aw, come one, when someone says “THE” tower of Pisa, it is the most famous one.

There were 7 buildings at the World Trade Center, but when someone says they visited “The World Trade Center” back then, they went to see the only two who mattered.

1 Like

Came here for this Oglaf reference, was not disappointed.

3 Likes