The Leaning Tower of Pisa is empty inside

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/31/the-leaning-tower-of-pisa-is-e.html

3 Likes

How beautiful that smoothly cut stone is. It looks like a cool place to rest ones cheek on a hot day.

12 Likes

If you aren’t familiar with the sensation of cheeks on cool surfaces…how often are you pooping, bruh? It’s healthy to go once a day.

14 Likes

Barbarian! :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraTouch-Heated-Toilet-Seat-White/dp/B001RUQFHY

13 Likes

I wonder how a giant resonating chamber like this affects how the bells sound.

8 Likes

What ever happened to the Leaning Tower of Pizza?

10 Likes

Yeah, and then there’s that “chicken pizza” structure in Mexico too.

6 Likes

What’s for lunch?

4 Likes

Was it designed and built that way? I always thought of it as full of offices or something.

4 Likes

I’m empty inside right now.

13 Likes

I’m also empty inside, AND my name is Ilene.

8 Likes

It’s hard to say how it was designed, especially since (as far as I know) we don’t really know who originally designed it.

Like most medieval buildings, it was built in several stages, over several centuries and each person in charge of each stage had their own plans and ideas.

Campaniles like this tend to be mostly empty though. They are built to hold the bells and that’s it. You need a way to get up to the bells and you want the outside to look as swanky as you can to one-up your neighbours.

All the money goes on the outside décor and the bells themselves. No point wasting time and money on floors. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I thought that’s where they hide the cheese.

3 Likes

What I find the scariest about it is there originally wasn’t any fucking railing anywhere. NOOOPPPPEEEE…

Man I have been to Pisa, but for the life of me I can’t remember if I went up in it or not. I don’t think I did, as heights are not my thing.

Also, the church in Pisa is amazing because it still has a ton of the art along its walls. Most churches have been stripped and had theirs put in museums.

7 Likes

Similar to a lighthouse I suppose? It was built to serve one fucntion only. Although the couple or three lighthouses I have seen do have living quarters at the bottom, but for the most part, they’re empty space.

2 Likes

Same principle. Lighthouse keepers used to (and I think some still do) live in the lighthouse while they were on shift so they had living quarters but bell ringers usually don’t live in the bell tower.

Exceptions of course apply:

6 Likes

That’s one fancy grain silo.

6 Likes

Considering how the structure looks, my first thought after reading the title was, “I should hope so!”

1 Like

Launch tube. Note how smooth the inside is. Not saying it’s Aliens, but…

9 Likes

and when I was there in 1983 there was not a single fucking handrail on the whole thing. Place was filled with tourists, you could just go out on those colonnades, and step right up to the edge.

4 Likes