"The Little Mermaid" gets review-bombed by racists

Someone on this comment page pointed out that it was written by Hans Christian Andersen likely as an allegory for his unrequited love of another man, and if Disney had made that context apparent, it’s possible some of the racist critics would still not be mollified. No pleasing some people.

12 Likes

IMDB: We’re trying to do something about it!

metacritic: Hahahah, whatever, man!

Of course, my expectations are pretty low for a site that greenlit this user name:

8 Likes

One way to spot bombed films is to compare the “real” critics’ average score with the popular vote.

When you have 50-100 pro critic reports from around the world, they have a range but it’s relatively close because basically, real critics don’t say a film is good because they like it, they say they like it because it’s good (due to dialogue, direction, plot, production design and all the other technical aspects of drama.)

The Last Jedi was a good example. Every pro critic gave it at least 70% or higher. The general public scores were all over the place because of the “Ruined Childhood” factor.

7 Likes

Because they are racist assholes, not film critics. :woman_shrugging:

Also, it’s a kids film, so maybe instead of treating it like it needs to be a masterpiece of sheer originality (which, literally nothing is that, actually), we should see what the people who the film was made for thought of it…

KALIAH: I told them, why are you being mean to the things that I like?

As I said… racist assholes… :rage:

Do you think what is probably the largest, most visible production company in the world needs “publicity”? :thinking:

coca cola coke GIF

shocked philip j fry GIF

17 Likes

“You wanna know who had the original Jewish space lasers? Jesus, that’s who. He was right up there in that big old Jewish command center in the sky, deciding whose turn it was to get smote from above. Check the Bible if you don’t believe me.”

10 Likes

She’s really talented. It makes me so sad that people are determined to tear her down just because they’re so goddamned racist they can’t stand to see a successful black girl in the world.

I hope she has tons of support.

18 Likes

Clearly not an isolated incident. And do not be fooled by the fuss over this movie, It’s been going on for a while now.

And no, the army is not very “grass roots”. This is not about random racists deciding individually to trash a review site. It is mobilized from the top trollies. It is a daily Foxnews talking point.

15 Likes

So at this point we know what the racists (who very likely didn’t even see the film) think and have seen some sampling of what reputable film reviewers think, but we’re almost 30 comments in and I haven’t seen a comment from anyone here on the BBS who has seen it for themselves. Has anyone here seen it yet, and if so, how was it?

6 Likes

Your tone says you’re joking, but remember that doctrine states that the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are three aspects of God. And in the Old Testament, God killed an awful lot of people.

The description of the Flood in Genesis literally states that it wiped out all but eight human beings (Noah, his wife, his three sons, and his three daughters-in-law.) Genesis 7:21-23.

And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

He destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Genesis 19:24-25. This actually involves brimstone and fire descending from Heaven (space lasers?)

Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.

In Exodus He killed the firstborn sons of Egypt (the last of the ten plagues) then drowned the army of Egyptians that pursued Moses and his people to the Red Sea. Exodus 12:29.

And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.

And Exodus 14:26-28.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen.

And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.

And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.

4 Likes

I posted an article about kids who saw it and what they thought about the film. They seemed to have enjoyed it. :woman_shrugging: That’s whose opinions we should care about.

19 Likes

It’s made for little girls between 5 and 10 years old! Not for someone who is old enough to write a movie review. Do the little girls like it? Yes? Then sit down and shut your pie hole, 30 year old white guy who probably never saw the original movie.

Also; I dare anyone not to get a bit misty eyed at these reactions;

19 Likes

Tangentially related…

This. This is how you write an alternative “Little Mermaid” story:

https://www.redwombatstudio.com/2013/11/05/the-sea-witch-sets-the-record-straight-2/

1 Like

Yep… like I said!

7 Likes

I should have kept scrolling!

6 Likes

It’s a different link (GMA vs. NPR), and the point bears repeating, I think… it’s a movie for little girls, so why are a bunch of dudes so spun up over it?

13 Likes

(Meant to post this on one of the other mermaid threads, here seems good enough :smiley: )

What sounds like a fascinating exhibit at Smithsonian National Museum of African Art.

From the Deep: In the Wake of Drexciya with Ayana V. Jackson

In the early 1990s, Drexciya, a Detroit-based techno duo made up of James Stinson and Gerald Donald, imagined an underwater kingdom populated by the children of pregnant women who had been thrown overboard or jumped voluntarily into the ocean during the transatlantic slave trade.

Drexciya’s founding myth has inspired numerous artists, among them Ayana V. Jackson who, in this exhibition, brings to life an immersive, feminist, and sacred aquatopia where African water spirits from Senegal to South Africa both midwife and protect the Drexciyans

7 Likes

Eggzackly! I’d say a movie for girl-identifying children, and/or children who enjoy the singing and presentation of the movie.

3 Likes

What’s the difference between a “cash-in” and “making a product within an IP we own because we’re a movie making corporation who makes movies to earn money”?

Is the difference whether you like it or not? If so, do you have a website or app where I can punch in movie titles to see if you like them? That would really help me out. I don’t want to see any movies that I might like if they’re just “cash-ins”.

14 Likes

Yep this is that “war on woke” shit.

They want to make sure Disney only hires subpar talent in the future for fear of angry racist mobs and to prove that they control the corporations or some stupid fascist shit like that.

The more I think about it as soon as I recover from the flu I wanna go see that movie.

10 Likes

(post deleted by author)