"The Little Mermaid" gets review-bombed by racists

They haven’t stopped making other things too, though. Did you see Strange World? How was it?

10 Likes

thumb_lighten-up-francis-memecrunch-com-lighten-up-francis-50404420

8 Likes

hey now. this is about ethics in movie making. keanu reeves is widely criticized for his participation in john wick movies. right? right? :cricket:

7 Likes

This straw man on a hill you’ve built is not pretty enough to die for.

10 Likes

You do realize this is nothing new for Hollywood, right? Before the Wizard of Oz everyone knows about, there were at least 4 or 5 others. And the Gone With the Wind we know of? That’s the second or third, depending. Etc etc etc.

Movie remakes are happening far less now than they were in the past.

5 Likes

The weird thing about Disney is that if you take a look at their films over the last 10 or 20 years they actually do make a lot of original content.

I think the classics are just popular.

This shouldn’t be surprising, in my experience with aesthetics and entertainment people generally prefer something familiar that already reminds them of something positive, over something new or challenging.

No doubt this also plays into their perceptions of how mermaid skin needs to look to some degree also.

After all, while MANY people dislike challenges to the familiar inherently, some percentage of those people have a deep bigotry-fueled hatred boiling inside them already. Having something “classic” contaminated by something “different” must be world-ending for those control freaks.

14 Likes

Shh, I’ve seen The Wicker Man, but I want to see how this remake works out.

8 Likes

How in the world is there any content that’s entirely “original”… Disney’s whole thing was built on re-imagining fairy tales for animation… people have been re-telling all sorts of stories for centuries… almost everything has an influence from something else - whether it’s a straight remake (like BOTH versions of the Little Mermaid) or influenced from history or other similar kinds of stories… Novelty is a concept made up by capitalist to make money off you by making you feel like you’re consuming something new and important, when it’s just a part of culture you’re steeped in.

And since, once again, this is a film for young children, I’m guessing that many had either not seen the original (because, you know, they were not born!) or they are excited to see a cartoon they love as live-action, with a protagonist that looks like them.

But if you want hollywood to not be a set of for-profit corporations going for the easy buck, then you need to start helping to dismantle capitalism. This is what corporate production looks like. Yes, sometimes some truly brilliant and meaningful work will sneak on through, and influence the industry… but more often than not, it’s the deeply self-referential directors who manage to get big and dictate the direction of hollywood… that’s why so much of Hollywood today takes its influence from genre films, because George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and later on Quentin Tarantino showed that those kinds of films can be blockbusters and rake in the dough…

9 Likes

Ana María Martínez (mom from Puerto Rico, dad from Cuba) sang the lead role in Dvorak’s Rusalka at Glyndebourne in 2010.

Rusalka is an opera version of the story, based on the HCA version.

There’s no one way to tell this story.

6 Likes

See also:
Encanto
Coco
Soul
Raya and the Last Dragon
Luca
Moana
Zootopia

and soon
Elemental

All of which were recent original films not closely based on any pre-existing IP. (Unlike the old “classics” that were based on existing fairy tales.)

I’m not a big fan of many of their recent remakes but everyone is welcome to just skip those and still get more original movies than Disney has ever produced in the history of the company. It used to take several years between the releases of major animated feature films.

12 Likes

Weird how you seem so intent on focusing on everything BUT the racism… which is the main point of this entire post.

If you want to talk about how unoriginal or evil Disney is (because it is!) then perhaps you should go start your own post.

10 Likes

Creepy dudes who want to fuck a mermaid but not if she’s Black are not qualified to review a movie, or anything for that matter, and their “reviews” should be stricken from the record.

8 Likes

Let’s see…Disney live action movie remakes: Aladdin, Mulan, Lion King and Little Mermaid. One of these has something different going on…I can’t put my finger on it. What could possibly be setting right wingers’ hair on fire?? Hmmm….think damnit, think!

4 Likes

Bigots weren’t thrilled with the Beauty and the Beast remake either.

10 Likes

Spoiler…

3 Likes

And Yeats knew Aleister Crowley. He had personally met “passionate intensity”.

4 Likes

Interesting - I had forgotten about that evil, satanic, filthy, woke (what else is there?) Disney film with the….dear god….gay character. Thank you for your reminder. And I love the subtitle of the Vox link: Alabama movie theater won’t show….that’s all we need to know. Keep up the good work, Alabama!

1 Like

I thought it was kind of bronzy.

5 Likes

… smitten?

4 Likes

Smooshed.

2 Likes