The live Jelly Cam at the Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic

Originally published at: The live Jelly Cam at the Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic | Boing Boing

9 Likes

If I had a huge TV I’d keep it tuned to the JellyCam all day long… It’s both beautiful and soothing. One thing I don’t understand. I know very little about jellyfish. All the images I remember seeing show them with their “umbrella” on top and the tentacles hanging down. On the Cam the umbrellas are on the bottom and the tentacles point upward. Is the camera inverted or have I had jellyfish wrong all these years?

3 Likes

Delightful! I just shared with all my friends. Jellyfish are kind of our symbol.

3 Likes

This has been my go-to webcam lately…

7 Likes

I believe the tank with Sea Nettles (the species pictured here) has a gentle upward current which induces the jellies to swim downward. Other species on display are oriented in different ways.

The jelly displays are somewhat unique in the Monterey Bay Aquarium because the lighting and framing is almost more akin to an art gallery than a typical habitat for a living animal. After all, there’s no need to provide tactile or cognitive stimulation for an open water creature that doesn’t have a brain.

5 Likes

It’s my go-to visual to use with altering substances.

3 Likes

I wonder what they eat? The sounds are really cool.

2 Likes

I just saw a warthog humping the wet mud so, um, yeah, thanks, I guess…

Screenshot_20220811-105613_Samsung Internet

laugh

4 Likes

It’s the CCCCCCCCIIIIIRRRRRRRCCLLLLLLLEEEE OF LIFFFFFFFEEEEE!!!

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

3 Likes

david attenborough glastonbury2019 GIF by Glastonbury Festival

“And here we see a young male performing his morning ablutions…”

*squelch
*squelch
*squelch

2 Likes

Happy Nick Young GIF by Catfish MTV

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.